Newbie Says Hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WannaLaguna

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey All,

I just posted this in "introductions and greets" and thought I should send a shout out here too!

I found this board (while at work) and keep looking over my shoulder!! :eyebrow: I can't stop reading the posts! Great site!

Although born with gills and snorkeling my entire life I have only recently gotten into SCUBA.

I was HOOKED from the "first" breath I took in that pool. Watching everyone's eyes was incredible! I knew that exact second that I wanted to see that look over and over again.

I am now interested in pursuing my dive instructors certification. I'm sure I'll be asking all kinds of questions about gear, LDS , best practices, training referrals etc.

One thing I have been looking for that I can't seem to find is an accurate guide for dive industry pay scales based on position. (i.e., dive master salary vs.. instructors etc)

Currently, I live in Toronto Canada but my wife and I are in the process of moving back down to Southern California where I would like to pursue a dive career full time.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi, and I'm very happy to have found you guys.

WannaLaguna:
Hey All,
One thing I have been looking for that I can't seem to find is an accurate guide for dive industry pay scales based on position. (i.e., dive master salary vs.. instructors etc)
QUOTE]

Welcome to the board....

Here is what you asked for.

Dive Master - Salary ranges from "Are you joking" to "Free Air" Most DM's make "Piddly"

Assistant Instructor - Salary ranges from "You owe me for giving you pool time" all the way up to "Mere Pitance". The majority make some where around "Bup-kiss"

Instructor - The range is from "Little" to "Less than Little" The majority make "Not Enough to Live On"

OK a little sarcastic but in Canada, it seems that people instruct not to make a living (because they can't) but because they like it and they can usually get gear at cost (or close to it) and write it off of thier taxes.

I don't know of a single instructor that makes thier living from teaching SCUBA.

A neighbour/friend two doors over is an instructor and according to him (and most other's I've spoken to) the pay stinks. Another friend got his intructors cert and a job in the Virgin Islands. He's been home since June on vacation, heads back in the fall. If I understand correctly, he gets room and board plus a small wage. He earned enough from it and tips over the winter (I think he went down in September) to come back for the summer, although he did work here part time for an LDS. If you have no dependants, low overhead (no mortgage) and want a simple life style with lots of diving, go for it. DM's get even less. Most seem to do it for the love of diving and wanting to share.

Thanks Guys, I suspected as much.

I will be moving down to Cali soon, so I expect to see a few more colors (notice spelling, just practising) than brown and green down that way.

For the love of the sport I suppose. : ) I'm a self-employed interactive designer so it looks like I'll have to bring the box with me to support my dive habit.

; )

FreeFloat:
Welcome to teh Ontario Fresh Water Freaks forum!

I'm in Toronto too, so if you think you'd like to get away on an evening and do a dive or two just let me know........

C'mon, FF.... tell him the kicker......

Who's driving? :D

Hey OD, looks we're jumping on his dreams. I'd add, don't rush. I've seen a few divers rush through training, gathering lots of cards with little experience along the way. They end up being poor to mediocre instructors (actually poor to mediocre divers, so how could they teach any better). None of my instructors had under 400 dives, and some in the 1000's and under varying conditions, from cold, dark, low vis, to warm, bright and great viz. IMHO, they have a lot more to offer.

Hi there Wanna

Welcome to the OFWF ... we're glad you found us

Al

Thanks Everyone! I'm very glad to be here. One thing I would like to stress about my post is, yes, I want to get to the instructor level but more importantly I have a "complete respect" for the process and the water in which we all dive. I would never race through anything so important. My vow to all on this board: I will treat this like the sacred sport that it is and that includes ALL the education and experience along the way.

*smart *safe * survive

Happy diving everyone! CDN ff: Do you know something I should know about FF?? fess up!! : )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom