What would you recommend for a bottom timer/depth gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Petrel. You can also remove the compass from your wrist when you have one. And with the Loonie dropping in value, they can be had for a lot less than they were going for two years ago.

I have a Tec2g now. It does everything I need it to do - I run it in gauge mode, I set the stop watch if I am on a deco dive, etc. The problem with it is I have a hard time reading the numbers as I have a difficult time seeing up close when I have contacts on.

All I need is an instrument that I can run in gauge mode and that is easier to read (bigger, lit all the time during a dive, only displaying information that is useful for the dive, etc). Bonus if it is relatively inexpensive.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you have another dive computer to track your N2 loading and you are using the Tec2G as a redundant bottom timer? Or are you diving tables with just the Tec2G?

Petrel's readability is awesome, FAR easier to read than the standard LCD display (especially for those of us over 50). Also, their customer support is great, and it's nice to be able to just pop in another AA battery anywhere in the world if you run low. But even with the dropping exchange rate, it's still a bit pricey.

I dive a Petrel with a Uwatec bottom timer as redundancy. Here's one for $115.

Thank you all for your replies. I like all three (Petrel, Xen, Xdeep black). I'll read some of the previous thread about them to get more familiar with how they work and how other divers have liked them.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you have another dive computer to track your N2 loading and you are using the Tec2G as a redundant bottom timer? Or are you diving tables with just the Tec2G?

Essentially, I dive tables. Any tech diving I do is comparatively light - square profiles, relatively short exposures, no multi days of diving, etc.

Essentially, I dive tables. Any tech diving I do is comparatively light - square profiles, relatively short exposures, no multi days of diving, etc.

Aha, got it. So if you really don't need the computer function, then the Petrel might be more money than you need to spend.

But if you can afford it, it's hard to beat the display, the reliability, the customer service, and the battery options. If you don't need a compass, you might find a Petrel one for a bit less, but people tend to love these things and hang on to them!

Peter has a Xen, and we've had no problems with it. Yes, the batteries either need periodic replacing or recharging (we use the rechargeable), but I'm used to that, because the X1 does, too, which is what I use. (I bought it before the other Liquivision and other OLED computers came out, and I still love the thing.)

I was an early adopter to the Xen and aside from battery life early on, I haven't had any real issues. Well, I had one issue with the battery compartment cracking because I screwed the battery door down too far. Liquivision has since beefed up the battery compartment and replaced my unit under warranty, so I can't complain.

I use the rechargeable batteries in mine, and make it a point to swap them out every few dives when the battery indicator starts changing color to orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a xen. As long as I remember to take he batteries out after a weekend diving, they last for ages

3 xens (mine and my friends ') are now so dim that it is impossible to use during daytime, even in 6m of water. At the beginning I thought it was my eye sight. Then my friends start to complain about the dimness. Looking up on line found we are not alone. Liquivision doesn't think it is a fault but offer to send us a new one if we agree to pay something like over 200 usd. I decided not to do it and have to pay after 2 years. I now use a petrel and I am happy.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

liquivision xen sounds like junk to me. my next computer will probably be a petrel. but the seabear units look good too

3 xens (mine and my friends ') are now so dim that it is impossible to use during daytime, even in 6m of water. At the beginning I thought it was my eye sight. Then my friends start to complain about the dimness. Looking up on line found we are not alone. Liquivision doesn't think it is a fault but offer to send us a new one if we agree to pay something like over 200 usd. I decided not to do it and have to pay after 2 years. I now use a petrel and I am happy.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk
That's ridiculous!

Petrel definitely seems to be the best thing out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom