Two weeks in Bonaire - recommendations on where to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look into Divers Paradise condos next door to Hamlet Oasis and others - 2 mins away from Bari reef. Reasonable prices, great beds, one bedroom apartments. Here some pictures of the vicinity. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433886741.214260.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433886752.034883.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433886763.908497.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433886773.509188.jpg

I have about 10 pages of word doc I did a long time ago for a first-timer friend. it is solely my opinions based on our trips since the mid 90s.

You're welcome to it if you will pm me a real email (can't attach to PM'S).

I stayed at Buddy Dive on July of 2013. Not a fancy place, but they provide great dives, professional Dive Masters, excellent breakfast buffets, unlimited air or Nitrox, and a pickup truck for shore diving. We did 2-tank boat dives every morning, ate lunch, and then loaded up the truck with Nitrox and headed out for some excellent shore diving. We did two afternoon shore dives, and a few night dives off of the Buddy Dive dock. If you rent dive lights, you will have to buy their batteries. Bring a big SD card too. Be advised that shore entries are not easy. Wear dive boots and be careful. Coral heads and holes can be treacherous with a little surf as you enter and leave a shore dive sight. Leave nothing of value in your vehicle. Buy the book, "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy." Google it and order a copy. It is helpful. Captain Don's has excellent pizza and food. Drive around the island on your last day. Dive the salt dock too. Curacao also has great shore diving, but you need maps to find them.

I think your Coral Paradise is sandwiched in between 2.) & 3.).
One resort farther north - it's just north of Habitat between Hamlet Oasis and Habitat.
If you know that row of white villas you see from the water at Cliff south of Dive Friends - it's behind them.

My husband and I visited Bonaire for the first time this past September. We stayed at Buddy Dive for two weeks and really enjoyed it. We had a one-bedroom apartment and received the pay-for-one-diver, get-the-second-free unlimited shore diving package. I suspect you've already made your reservations by now so will offer a few first-timer observations.
Cruise boat traffic was not an issue in September, jelly fish were on a couple of night dives. One restaurant I wanted to try was not open due to September being the low season. We did zero boat dives and never ran out of places to shore dive. Buddy house reef was wonderful and convenient for night dives. Entries and exits can be tricky at many sites, make sure you have hard-soled booties. Gloves are prohibited. As mentioned, don't lock your truck; don't leave any valuables in your truck, get an underwater case for your vehicle key and take it with you on dives. Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy is a great investment.

I stayed at Happy Holiday Homes. If you like apartment like independence then I would recommend those guys. Their rates are very good as well.

We stayed at Bonaire Exclusive Bungalows for a week and loved it! We missed out on one that books through AirBNB so we booked through VRBO instead at a higher rate, but a two-bedroom house with huge outdoor patio/dining table in front, back patio with lounge chairs, and outdoor shower was around $750 for the week in January (the house listed through AirBNB was around $400 for the week). A one bedroom was about 1/3 cheaper, but we thought we had friends coming with us who backed out last minute, and the one-bedrooms were all booked at that point. We rented a truck from AB to get around.

We received a discount rate through Dive Friends for the dive packages through the bungalow complex, so we wound up doing a shore/boat dive combo. Overall it was probably close to the same rate as doing Buddy or another resort when you take into account the lodging, dive package, and truck rental, but we liked having the additional space indoors, the outdoor space to relax at night, and not being around a lot of other people in close proximity. Also, my husband is a very picky eater, so anything that includes meals is usually a waste because we make/buy most of our own food anyway.

I stayed at Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn which suited my needs well. Small, quiet with opportunities for boat and shore diving (which I did mostly at night).

We stayed at Diver's Paradise and it was great.
You can conveniently park right in front of your apartment, and they have individual dive equipment storage rooms. Also, the apartment was really well-equipped and the bed was amazing. John is a great host.

IMO Divers Paradise is one of the best deals on the island. The apartments are great, each with a private equipment locker, rinse bucket, outdoor patio, awesome High speed Wifi, great memory foam beds and air conditioning all while being very close to Hamlet Oasis. You can get the best deal if you book DFB +accommodations package they offer.

I really loved Bamboo Bali. It didn't feel like a giant hotel (because it's not) and the owners were great. The rooms were very comfy and the showers great after a long day of diving. I'd definitely return!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom