Sony RX100 vs Panasonic LX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaND

Contributor
Reaction score
Debating between these two cameras, anyone have any recommendations between the two or suggestions? This is my first camera set up other than my GoPro

I plan on doing 50/50 Stills/Video. This might help others help me decide which one is better for both videos and stills.

Which version of the RX100? Only the newest RX100 IV has 4K video which compares to the LX100. 4K seems like something you'd probably want if you are doing 50% video. Even if you're not convinced of the need for 4K yet, you can grab 8MP stills from 4K video footage and have a pretty usable print, not to mention downscale/crop pretty favorably to 1080p.

LX100 at 4K is very noisy underwater at ISO800, the problem maybe due to I usually MWB underwater instead of using video light. After using Neat video ISO 800 is still usable. With a wide converter on I think you can use F1.8 (due to deeper DOF when using Wide converter), ISO 800 may not be necessary.

RX100 mark I does not have this problem. Mark IV has not been released so I cannot tell anything about its low light performance.

RX100 is "bluer" (Sony style) and LX100 is "greener" (Panasonic style) as usual.

Actually you can check my videos in my youtube channel for video footage from LX100 and RX100 mark I but as most clips from LX100 have been denoised you may not see the true low light performance of LX100.

The RX100 (MK I) was my first u/w camera after a 20 year-old Sea-n-Sea 35mm set-up. I don't shoot much video and have a lot to learn in that area, but I'm very happy with the quality of stills from the RX100. I went cheap and used the Ikelite housing, started out with one YS-D1 strobe, and after a year or so, upgraded to a 2nd YS-D1. I use a 5 diopter macro and a Fix UWL-28 WA for the Ike so I've kept costs within reason. I shoot in RAW and process with Lightroom. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade the housing for ease of use, but overall, I'm very happy with the RX100. Now if I were a big video guy, I might make another choice, but for now, I like my set-up.

Here's some of the latest shots from Alki Cove 2 in Seattle: Microsoft services, so this is all cold, green stuff, with about 15' of viz (so wide-angle here is a big challenge!).

Thanks everyone. Its hard to say, I am slowly getting into still photos which might be what I decide to shoot primarily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom