Diving only in what you trained in ignorance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The funny thing is that most computers wouldn't send you straight up if you're nearing deco limits... They send you shallower... But as you say... Computer says up that means up all the way.

Well, actually, if you are still within NDL, the computer doesn't tell you to do anything, either up or shallower. It just says how much time is left at that depth before NDL.
It is the training and mindset of the diver that is the problem; understanding that as you get shallower you get more time before you hit your NDL seems not to be commonly understood.

I appreciate this thread; it gives me a new perspective to address in my classes.

My Sherwood and Hollis and the old mares would give a warning when I reach really close to deco I think about 5 Mins before... It could be ignored with no penalties though. No setting to disable it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Sherwood and Hollis and the old mares would give a warning when I reach really close to deco I think about 5 Mins before... It could be ignored with no penalties though. No setting to disable it.

Do they say to go up or shallower? Or do they just say "5 mins left"?

Do they say to go up or shallower? Or do they just say "5 mins left"?

DG03 says Ni High Up, with an up arrow or something like that... but i just checked my settings again, it is an alarm and i can disable it. It probably is disabled by default

"Remember-- you are only supposed to dive in the same waters you were trained in!!!! If they didn't do ocean then they are not supposed to"
I am an SSI instructor. So, I can't speak for any other agency. But there is no such requirement in the SSI training guidelines. I have seen the guidelines from the Recreational Scuba Training Council, upon which all the agencies training is based. There is no such requirement in there either.

... understanding that as you get shallower you get more time before you hit your NDL seems not to be commonly understood.

I appreciate this thread; it gives me a new perspective to address in my classes.

Speaking of: I was a bit surprised first time my DC (leonardo) showed no safety stop, took me a few seconds to figure out we've spent enough time at less than 30' it shouldn't make any difference. I checked afterwards: it is in the manual, I just forgot about it and assumed it's always on.

I am an SSI instructor. So, I can't speak for any other agency. But there is no such requirement in the SSI training guidelines. I have seen the guidelines from the Recreational Scuba Training Council, upon which all the agencies training is based. There is no such requirement in there either.

I don't know of any requirement in any agency.

Agencies have no authority to make any requirements for how you dive when you are not taking a class. Governments can do that. Dive operators can set rules for how you dive when you are with them. Agencies, however, cannot do that. Agencies can only recommend limits for your personal diving, and recommendations for personal diving will, of course, not appear in training standards.

In the current PADI OW course, the section on diving within your limits is on pages 128-131. In those pages, students are advised on why it is important to make decisions in their diving to stay within their "training and/or experience." It says diving with an experienced diver and gaining dive experience are two ways to expand those limits, but it says you should get training "for activities that require training."

In the current PADI OW course, the section on diving within your limits is on pages 128-131. In those pages, students are advised on why it is important to make decisions in their diving to stay within their "training and/or experience." It says diving with an experienced diver and gaining dive experience are two ways to expand those limits, but it says you should get training "for activities that require training."

that's what i was thought/learned... no where was it that "rule" that was told to the OP... I always understood it to be dive within the limits of your training.

I always understood it to be dive within the limits of your training.

That is not what Boulderjohn (or most others are saying.) It is a recommendation only, it is "training and/or experience," and (as numerous others have pointed out" you get the experience by moving slowly and surely beyond your current comfort level.

sorry forgot the experience part.. i was also thought the best way to get experience was to dive with somebody who is experienced, in most cases a dive master... or an experienced buddy. It was always emphasised that a newly minted diver should not be diving out of their training "alone" or with a freshly minted buddy

Back
Top Bottom