Finding new wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been a bit distracted by cave diving but, yes I still occasionally find or "refind" a new one. It a bit hard to know who might have been there "first", pre-internet, pre UW photos or video etc. Most or all of the big maritime disasters around here are either known or far too deep to actually dive. So the "new" ones tend to be shallow, sank at anchor types of things. Here's an example of one Boydski and I serendipitously found a couple years ago while searching from something else nearby

pics and description: The  Dreamscape ShipWreck Dive Site Review
video: Dyes Inlet Shipwreck on Vimeo

Its been awhile since I posted here. We found this one back in the fall of 2014 and have done about 5 dives on her since January 2015.
The shipwreck of The General was discovered by Bill Zanke, Richard Jack, Jeanna Edgerton and Brian Wiederspan in January 2015.
Named in honor of the ship’s owner, Major General Howard S. McGee, McGee was affectionately known as “The General” by the neighborhood locals.
A friend of Brian’s who grew up as a small boy in the neighborhood reminisced “He was the patriarch of our neighborhood and helped rebuild multiple bulkheads in the adjacent neighborhood, when doing such things was allowed….”
An avid recreational diver, McGee sank the ship, a 200’ long x 35’ wide converted pile driving scow, in the late 1960’s to serve as a crab and fish habitat. However, the ship came to rest much deeper than planned, as the wreck now sits perfectly upright in 180fsw.
General McGee would be happy to know that life is abundant on his project, as populations of rockfish, large ling cod and anemone have taken residence.
We continue to conduct exploration and survey dives on this newly discovered gem, both exterior and penetration dives. Exploration updates, photos and full length video to come.
THE GENERAL

Video
[video=vimeo;125687021]https://vimeo.com/125687021[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom