Bc garden hose attachment okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whippo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was at one of my lds today and I was talking to the owner, who I have only seen once and this time being the only time in talking to customers. I was asking about the bc flush hose that connects via the quick connect on the power inflator and then a garden hose. My other lds has them... His response was they are not good for
the power inflator. He went on to say the valve is the other way... Now I understand in the short time i have been exposed to power inflators that he was not right the air does go in that direction. I don't like to argue with the people that can same me money down the road. Is there any truth to his first response? By the way he tried to sell me a zeagle power inflator that can hook to the garden hose. His last question was do I have a bc...

Not sure I'm aware of your considerations, but if flushing salt water out of the BC is the objective, why not just unscrew the shoulder port or bottom dump valve if you've got one, and add water that way?

I would think you could run fresh water through the inflator valve if you blow it dry the same way afterwards, but your LDS guy was right that it's usually the other side of the valve that sees water, the air side stays dry (more or less). Still, it's all plastic, brass, and stainless and water contact shouldn't hurt it. The Schrader valve spring is probably carbon steel so it will rust if left wet (do all inflators use those?...).

I have the Zeagle BX system. It works very well but it obviously doesn't get the inflator since you unscrew it to attach the hose. I just soak mine in the sink while the BC is flushing since the top is open after you unscrew it.

The one time I've had a problem with a sticking inflator it was due to salt crystal build-up due to lack of proper flushing. I don't recall seeing anything in it that would be harmed by fresh water rinsing. In fact that's how I fixed it - 15mins of flushing under the faucet and some banging on the side of the sink cleared up the problem all week. I bought the BX when I got home.

Had I had a flush system like the first one you describe (Deep Sea Supply sells one also) I probably wouldn't have had that problem.

The hose attachment to the lp inflator works fine and there is no issue with water running through it. I would prefer my customers and students do that as opposed to unscrewing an OPV or dump valve. The LP inflator hose is designed to be inserted and removed many times and is a solid, metal piece. The OPV and dump valves are plastic and very easy to cross thread or leave loose.

For those who don't know what we are talking about: BCD / wing cleaning attachment

Thanks Robertarak, I had no idea that these things existed.

I have been using one for a couple years with no problem.

The air going through there is normally 130-150 psi. Water in a house is usually in the 60-100 psi range.

I used to use one of these from DSS, although mine looks different, mine is all plastic the one in the photo looks like is has some metal. Anyway I've not blown up any inflator units by using it. To be honest I haven't used it for ages as I haven't gotten around to getting the right hose end since moving country and it's just as easy to hold hold down dump button and put water into unit with a hose, inflate, rinse and flush holding down both inflate and dump buttons then repeat. The last flush I empty using bottom OPV. To date I don't recall ever having an issue with an inflator unit.

you can even make your own with a old LPI hose, a (barbed) tubing/female garden hose adapter from HomeDepot, and a hose clamp.....

They do work quite well, but it might be another equipment solution to a training problem. I have made a couple of them and they seem to have gone into hiding.

If you can find it, and remember to bring it with you, and can find a hose with the necessary attachment, and don't lose it after use; it will work fine. But I find it to be easier and just as effective to run water into my bladder using any suitable water source (even a glass of FW) and rinsing inflator and BC. It may take more time from start rinsing to finish, but I don't spend any time looking for the attachment and a water source with the necessary connection.

Find another LDS.

you can even make your own with a old LPI hose, a (barbed) tubing/female garden hose adapter from HomeDepot, and a hose clamp.....

I'm going to try that, there's a typhoon hitting us currently so diving is out this weekend, it'll give me something to do, cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom