Your biggest "lessons learned"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly. And so many here blow off AI computers, but they are really helpful in avoiding low on air situations.
This simply isn't true. My biggest issue with AI is that it fools people into thinking this because they don't know any better.

• Finally, take a light on every dive. Use it often and regularly. Be the explorer and find out what's in those holes or under that ledge. Divers without lights often miss out on half the dive without even knowing it.

I whole heartedly agree with everything here. I'll add that when you take a light you reduce the temptation to scull with your hands! :wink:

... My biggest issue ... is that it fools people into thinking [that [AI computers] are really helpful in avoiding low on air situations] because they don't know any better.

How so?

I ask out of total ignorance. I still plan deco with a pencil and Navy/NOAA tables.

This simply isn't true. My biggest issue with AI is that it fools people into thinking this because they don't know any better.
Sorry dude I don't get your point. An AI computer is a tool nothing more or less. That this tool often gives extra information like turn gas IS an advantage. But its up to the diver to use that information.

Here we go;

1. TRUST NO ONE: Be diligent with gear and skills, self sufficient "self rescue", be responsible for your dive skills and call your own dives.
2. NEVER ACCEPT BEING GOOD ENOUGH: Be the best you can and always strive to MASTER skill sets. When a skill is difficult attack it tear it apart and conquer it bit by bit. Soon it will be like second nature. Accept failure, listen to advice, Consider the source, be open to new ideas as long as they are safe.
3. TRAIN LIKE YOU DIVE: If you desire to dive recreational then dive that way mastering skill sets that will allow you to perform the dive plans you wish to complete. If you wish to do deeper, longer, colder, dives train that way taking small steps gaining experience. Gather a core group of like minded dive buddies to help sharpen skills.
4. DO NOT LET SET BACKS DEMORALIZE YOU: Keep your chin up! No one is perfect and if its easy everyone would do it! When you are training and things go awry or you fail a skill, let it make you determined to conquer it. Always dive safe and within your limits.
5. PLAN YOUR DIVE , DIVE YOUR PLAN: If anything does not go as planned have a bail out plan ready! Ive learned in my diving that a dive can go bad anytime. In my experience when and if this happens pull the plug immediately. Little problems have a way of becoming big problems. Ive seen divers put them selves at significant risk by ignoring small issues only turning dives when things were out of control.

When you reach the water you should have triple checked your gear, pre breathed your regs, had a dive briefing "Dive your Plan" with your buddy, be having fun "enjoying the dive". If you are not then end it!

Dive safe, Dive with in your skills and comfort level,

CamG

The person wearing the gear has the worst view of it. If you see a hose routed oddly, say something. Chances are likely that the person will just ask you to fix it. I was a newbie and he was a DM. He said thanks.

By a country mile the biggest lesson I have learned is that no matter how many dives I do. No matter how good I get at diving there is ALWAYS something new to learn.

Just like everything else in life, diving is better when you follow the Golden Rule. There is no reason not to get along with everyone on the boat, particularly if they annoy you. I have always been impressed that divers are almost all nice people out to have fun. Even the biggest air hog needs love. Always remember you were once new to diving, too. You can always learn from other divers, even if that lesson is patience.

P.S. Don't worry if others don't like your gear as long as it is safe.

How so?

I ask out of total ignorance. I still plan deco with a pencil and Navy/NOAA tables.

The way I'd do my calculations is similar to MinGas. You and a buddy are both breathing off your tank with elevated SAC rates. It takes a minute or so to figure out what's up, calm down a bit, and start your ascent. Full ascent, 60ft/min, short safety stop. You'll find that this is much better than trusting "ATR" on a computer. ATR is only valid for maintaining the same SAC rate, one person, no safety stop, nothing going wrong, etc. It's just not safe enough. The worst part is, people trust it. Adding "conservatism" by increasing the "surfacing pressure" simply doesn't fix it because MinGas volumes vary by depth, so you can ride that curve up like so many people do their deco curves. Either way, people should know what's actually going on behind the scenes....but unfortunately don't.

Sorry dude I don't get your point. An AI computer is a tool nothing more or less. That this tool often gives extra information like turn gas IS an advantage. But its up to the diver to use that information.

It would be a fine reference, but it's simply not conservative enough. Unfortunately, the biggest problem is that people trust it outright. Look at the guy I quoted, Hatul. He said "they are really helpful in avoiding low on air situations." This is simply untrue. The person telling the story Hatul responded to knew what gas was in the tank during the story. Having their computer saying "surface now, please" wouldn't have fixed anything. The person they were chasing wasn't watching their gas supply, either....so why would they have been watching their computer? They wouldn't have. They were too busy following the shark. Saying that the computer telling you to surface would've fixed it is completely untrue, and telling new divers that don't know any better that it's safer is simply untrue. AI computers don't run a proper ATR algorithm, don't make diving safer, and don't change how oblivious the diver is. For an experienced, competent diver that has done the risk/reward analysis and determined that an AI computer is worth it....great. But saying that an AI computer would help in "avoiding low air situations" is dangerous and wrong.

1. More weight (lead) is rarely the answer, and is often the problem.
2. A good diver is ALWAYS learning.
3. After you've had your fill of PADI classes try the IANTD Cavern class. I thought I was an very good diver until I took that class. Out of air drills, blackout masks, free flows from 1st/2nd stages, and entanglement scenarios sound scary-and they are-but when you've practiced them ALL dozens of times you'll be prepared when it happens for real. See the next number..,,
4. Someone else said it; "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast"
5. Hope is not a strategy. Plan and practice what can (and sometimes does) go wrong.
6. Redundant everything. Lights, cutting devices, air, regs, etc.
7. Buoyancy, Trim, and Propulsion are the holy trinity of diving.

Safe diving friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom