The wait is over: Suunto Eon Steel is here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the LED issue,

Mine is so dim that it can only be seen in the dark with one eye closed. Seriously though it is very quick flickering and very dim so try it in a dark bathroom or at night and roll it around because I can't see it from all directions either.

Personally I don't care about the LED though. I get all the info I need when I connect.

Chicken,

Hi Hendrik

One more feature request for a future update.

Can you add the option to turn deep stops, for no deco dives, off. I know I can just ignore the deep stops, but its offputting when I beeps.

Hendrik,

Another suggestion for the list. DM5 does not predict CNS or OTU. Or more accurately it doesn't display it (that I've found), sense it does predict it to the point necessary to show the alert when 100% or 300 OTUs will be reached but that isn't good enough for deco planning.

Also the fixed 300 OTUs is sad. The plan function has the ability to account for as many dives as necessary. Why not use the OTU limits based on continuous days diving. At least in DM5 for planning.

The EON can't reach it's full potential if DM5 isn't as capable as it is.

I stand corrected on the LED if I'm in a dark room and IF I turn the rear of the tx towards me I can see it. No point to it really

i would like to chose which alarms I want and which I don't rather than all on or off

i really want to switch water sensor off ( just turn on via pressure or hit a button before you jump in). To turn my off after a dive, I need to wash then blow out the water and leave the comp to dry. Meh!!!

could we have a side mount screen in the future? Where we can display 2 transmitter contents side by side?

had mine on a 20 dive liveaboard in July with no issues, off again on 16th Aug for 10 day liveaboard 30+ dives) no other issues thus far

Hi, your suggestions have been noted and will be taken into consideration: As for the side mount functions: This is something we're looking into. No schedule available yet though... Regarding the planning in DM5: So you'd prefer a bar displaying the OTU/CNS predictions? br, Hendrik

Hindrik,

A bar would be cool and all but, all we really need is a numeric representation on the "Table". Probably at the bottom of the table to represent the values at the end of the planned dive.

Thanks.

I see. I'll add it to the list of enhancements. Thanks for your feedback... looking forward to more :)

br Hendrik

Hendrik.

I’ve recently bought the Eon Steel and I’m really enthusiastic about the device! A powerful device and the color display provides clear readings, which is very helpful in the often turbid seawater in Belgium & The Netherlands.

I'm still exploring its possibilities but I have however one suggestion for improvement after a deco-dive yesterday.

I’m using the graphical style on the Eon Steel. After a couple of minutes at 40m depth, the NDL time expired and the Eon Steel started to display the “Asc. Time” in the center together with the ceiling of the deepest stop (being a deepstop at 20m). As was expected, the Ascent Time further increased as long as we were staying at that depth. So far, all is normal.

As the Asc. Time further increased, I was however not able to see an overview of all the foreseen stops on the Eon Steel. With an “Asc. Time” of 7 minutes at 40m, I could quickly calculate that I would need 4 minutes to ascent (taking into account 10m per minute ascent rate) and 3 minutes of stops. However, I had no idea how these 3 minutes were spread over Deepstops or Deco Stops or maybe Safety Stops or at which depth these would occur. Only the ceiling of the first (deepest) deepstop was displayed.

My back-up computer (Mares Puck) showed, next to the asc. time, both a Deepstop (16m) and a 3 minute’s Deco stop at 3m. My buddy could open a menu on his Mares Icon HD to display an overview of all the foreseen stops at that moment. But of course it would be ideal to have this information accessible on my Eon Steel.

I would find it very useful know all the foreseen stops without guessing through calculations or consulting my backup computer. Will you consider an option to have the Eon Steel display a list with all the stops during a deco dive (with their respective depth, time and nature) ? Could look like a simple table stating:

Deepstop 1: 20m 0’50”
Deepstop 2: 10m 1’
Decostop 1: 3m 2’

Or did I miss something in the manual and is there already a solution for this?

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:
Since the real estate on the screen is limited, you can't possibly put all stuff there. It seems a fully customizable and multiple screen is in order, so people can choose to display what they want on the main screen, secondary screen, temppory screen ..... which I don't think it is too much to ask for given the computer technology today.

As for side mount specific features, I wonder what they are? Which piece of information in a dive that is more relevant to side mount than back mount?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom