Ears...after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becca65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I typically have issues getting my ears to clear - usually once I'm past about 15' I have no more problems. Have tried several things - use swimmers ear drops a few days prior to diving, start equalizing before my head is even under the water, equalize with every breath and sometimes it seems like those things work and I have fewer problems. So this past weekend we did about AOW class - 2 dives Friday afternoon/evening, 3 dives Saturday....a couple of those we did multiple ascents so multiple descents as well....ears did pretty good while diving, but yesterday and today they are ITCHING like crazy! Anyone ever felt with this problem and do you have any ideas on what I can do to stop it? Still using swimmers ear and seeme to help for a bit - then it comes back

so swimmers drops before diving doesn't do anything for you, it's also very expensive. 50/50 of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar does the same thing as a disinfectant after diving, especially important in fresh water.

Are you rolling to the side to make sure your ear canals are filled with water? This can actually cause external ear barotrauma if you don't get them full of water on descent.

Take NSAIDS prior to diving and immediately after your done as this will help minimize any inflammation and help with equalizing.

Have tried several things - use swimmers ear drops a few days prior to diving...

If you mean swimmers ear drops as in 200-proof alcohol, my ears hurt if I put that stuff in. If you have irritation in there they make it worse, if you don't: you will after using them.

There's one that's basically liquid neosporin, that's prescription only in the US and is useful once you have bacteria breeding in your ear -- that's what swimmers ear actually is. There's also variations of xxx-caine (anaesthetic) + hydrocortizon (anti-itch/anti-inflammatory) + a topical antobiotic like neosporin. No idea where/how you can get this in US -- I got a verson called "otizol" OTC elsewhere. My guess is these would be good for what you have but IANADoctor.

I'd go have a qualified professional look in your ears and give you a writ for otizol-like drops.

If you over use the swimmers ear stuff they sell at stores (which is just 90% Iso Alcohol) you can remove too much wax from ear. You need a protective layer of wax to keep the bacteria away. Too much of a good thing. Use ear beer like TBone said, much safer.

The itching may only be irritation from over using the drops. I would stop. If it does not clear up on it's own in the next few days you'll need to get prescription drops.

If I don't use "Ear Beer" the 50/50 alcohol and vinegar solution after every dive I get an ear infection.

I also have some of the anti-biotic ear drops described above that I got when I got an ear infection the day before a dive trip. One thing I can say about them is that they were terribly expensive here in the US. I have pretty good insurance and I got 7.5 ml for $40.

Prevention is definitely key. The ear beer can sting when you use it, but the discomfort is much less than having an ear infection, and it really does work.

As for ear clearing, have you tried Doc's ear plugs? They don't claim, and no one who sells them will promise you this, but I know a lot of people who use them to make clearing their ears easier.

I was using the swimmer's ear stuff before diving because I read on a thread here that someone suggested that - seemed to help - but maybe it was in my head. Never heard of the 50/50 stuff - will give that a try. Yes, I turn my head and let water get in there. I have had issues in the past with too much wax in my ears so maybe the swimmers ear stuff is keeping wax from impacting in there. Thought ear plugs were a no-no when diving

The docs plugs have a hole in them that allow for equalization, but the way they fit in your ear keeps too much water from entering as well as allowing for easier equalization (in some people). Your lds may sell them so you can see what they look like and try them on if you wish. Normal ear plugs are definitely a no-no.

If you use them in cold water you need to be careful they don't become dislodged during a dive. The sudden warm-to-cold rush can cause vertigo in some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Itchy body parts after diving can be caused by several things:
1) Stimulation of circulation. Some areas of skin don't get much circulation under normal use. Movement and/or water exposure can cause an increase in blood flow which can cause itching.
2) Contact with toxins/irritants/allergens in the water.
3) Parasites/microorganisms.
Call DAN (+1-919-684-2948) or see your doctor.

Back
Top Bottom