Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a look at a Heads Up Display Oceanic mask last week while I was diving at Lembeh and was impressed that I could actually read the display which is on the bottom right hand side of the mask.

Of course it might be useless if you are carrying two stages and a set of doubles but at some point in the future that might be workable, in the meantime I will still stick to my SPGs and my Petrel

I like having one less hose. I have an AI hose-less dive computer and I have had more trouble with the dive computer than the gas read out. I dive with a back up computer and carry an extra SPG in my dry bag. When I dive rebreather a SPG for O2, one for DIL, a power inflator (one for BCD and one for Dry Suit), and a Bail Out bottle 2nd stage hose management gets to be a hassle. That said, I am still on the fence about staying with the hose-less AI.

Let's consider that at least for me in 1979, let's see, that was 36 year ago. In 1979 there was no technical diving, no nitrox, no such thing as recreational divers (which includes any diver not commercial) using trimix gases and there were in fact people who were versed in deep air.

I would never recommend anyone today to do that type of dive on air as there is no reason to. Today we have technical courses and all of the needed knowledge and equipment and more importantly easy access to mixed gases and even computers that can handle those gases. That just did not really exist in 1979, certainly not to the degree that we have this knowledge, courses and equipment today. And then there are rebreathers, how many had those in 1979?

Have we became that air bagged, helmeted, knee padded and apparently somebody thinks we need butt pads?

N

In fact, I am not "advocating" deep air. If I wanted to do that dive today I would get trained on trimix. Why be narced? Also, no notion of ox tox at the time. Po2 of 1.7? YIKES. But, bottom line, in the early 80s, air was the only gas in town. If you wanted a dive, any dive, air was it. So, in the early/mid 80s, I have two dives below 200' on air, a dozen below 180, several dozen below 140. I did not have any incident, but I did have to buddy-breathe (the old fashioned way--secondaries had not caught on yet)) my buddy up from 140, including a 10'deco stop. Except for the dives 180 and below, these were with single AL 80s or steel 72s with J valves. Do I "advocate" these now? No, I think modern training and the DIR techniques from the cave and deep tech community are way better. But, many of us did these "in the day" and lived to tell about it. At the time, we were considered the cutting edge. Nowadays, we probably seem foolish, but not that much was known and we were as careful as the knowledge back then allowed.

Getting back to the thread, I LIKE my hoseless AI Galileo. Still carry an spg, though.

I have a DataMask. I only dive recreationally, I think of my 200 dives only 2 have been deeper than 100', one to 103 and one to 109. No stages or doubles for me. I like it a lot and don't use a SPG.:D

The display is very easy to read and does not require anything but a glance down.
I had a look at a Heads Up Display Oceanic mask last week while I was diving at Lembeh and was impressed that I could actually read the display which is on the bottom right hand side of the mask.

Of course it might be useless if you are carrying two stages and a set of doubles but at some point in the future that might be workable, in the meantime I will still stick to my SPGs and my Petrel

I love AI computers. Especially when traveling. They help me get the most diving I can out of an expensive trip. I watch my "Air Time Remaining" and "No Deco Time Remaining" and dive according to which is less. Also, when my "Air Time Remaining" starts getting low, I adjust my depth upwards and my "Air Time Remaining" gets longer again.

I love AI computers. Especially when traveling. They help me get the most diving I can out of an expensive trip. I watch my "Air Time Remaining" and "No Deco Time Remaining" and dive according to which is less. Also, when my "Air Time Remaining" starts getting low, I adjust my depth upwards and my "Air Time Remaining" gets longer again.

Yup, no way to do that without air integration!

This actually can be a learning even for less experienced divers. I dove an air integrated computer for the first few years of my total diving experience, long before I had ever heard anything about SAC rates, gas management, etc. Looking back at it now, I realize that it actually did teach me a lot about how air consumption changes with depth. Simply by using the computer, I got a pretty fair idea of how fast I would go through air at different depths without getting any formal training. If nothing else, it made me think about it on every dive.

When Air Time remaining becomes low or zero, if you need to share air with someone, you may not have enough to get both up to surface. Of course, it will depends on your reserve setting the depth that you need to start sharing air. Just something to keep in mind when relying on ATR

I am convinced thanks to this thread that AI is a viable solution, sans spg, for open water recreational type diving. Even if I do not get AI next computer purchase, which is looming, I will get one for my wife (so I can borrow it :wink: ). AI is lighter potentially for travel weight, eliminates a hose, and so is more minimal, okay, y'all win. Now I just need to remember that y'all win. N

I am convinced thanks to this thread that AI is a viable solution, sans spg, for open water recreational type diving. Even if I do not get AI next computer purchase, which is looming, I will get one for my wife (so I can borrow it :wink: ). AI is lighter potentially for travel weight, eliminates a hose, and so is more minimal, okay, y'all win. Now I just need to remember that y'all win. N
I was thinking the same thing, modern minimalism, embracing technology in an effort to reduce clutter even if it's just an SPG. It's one less thing dangling even though clipped off. I guess if I used my unbalanced MK2 with an unbalanced poppet second stage and loosely kept track of time if the computer quit, I could end my dive when the thing slowly started to breathe hard. One thing I refuse to do is end a dive 5 minutes into it if my AI hoseless computer craps out. Perhaps that's where years of guessing air supply with a watch and depth gauge might come in handy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom