Warranties / "free parts for life" vs buying used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is_907

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, I'm new.

In considering buying a regulator should I avoid buying used because I lose out on manufacturer warranty and those "free parts for life" deals some of them do?

I'm asking because obviously a brand new reg can be a pretty penny but a used one from here or eBay could be a couple hundred $ less.

I don't mind paying my LDS a fee for service if I buy a used reg but am I really missing out on something the manufacturer is offering me if I do that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why don't you ask the dive shop that will be doing the service how much the regulator kit costs each year for the regulators you are looking at?

Pretty much you're missing out on free parts for life...:D You'll still have to pay the service costs to have those parts installed on their service schedule - usually 1 or two years or a certain dive count. It varies by mfr. Typically it's 1 year inspection 2 year full service. Some require it to maintain your warranty status. It also varies by dive count. Atomic has a 2 year/300 dive requirement - no inspection. Aqualung has a 2 year - 1st year inspection, 2nd service - or 100? dives. Additionally some of the programs are pretty fussy about the interval - late on one and warranty is revoked.

Aqualung offers FPFL - here's the details. Free Parts for Life Program
Scubapro does if you buy a full set of gear from them:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/scubapro/407051-scubapro-parts-life-policy-explained.html
Atomic doesn't have FPFL but they offer no inspection - just 2nd year service - Atomic Aquatics Regulator Warranty

Those are the only 3 I follow.

If there was a recall, they should notify you also. We also have a forum here for that in the Q&A sub-forum that's usually pretty current.

One other wrinkle to consider is the service interval. The three I posted above all support/require 2nd year servicing. So although you pay more initially - in the long run you may do better.

I own Atomics - my cost for service/parts is $90. Their base model Z2 is $409 everywhere. Compare that to a $400 other brand reg with an annual service requirement. By the 4th year you're money ahead - even on a $300 other brand reg during the same interval.

There's also a lot of really old junk on eBay and craigslist.

Some real good deals also - you just have to know how to spot them.And hidden things - corrosion in metal 2nd stages, hopefully the reg was rinsed properly before being stored. Many reg internals are brass - salt water damages/corrodes it over longer intervals. Rotted hoses - they aren't cheap at your dealer either. They probably get $40 or more for them.

Some older 2nd stages that were cast in plastic/poly a decade ago are now brittle and cracking - even though they may look perfectly good, you can't repair the 2nd stage housing and will have to buy another one. That can cost more than the "deal" itself. Your local dealer may be able to help if you can borrow the reg and have it looked at. I wouldn't be averse to paying a small fee for that either - their employee's time is worth money.

If you find something used post a link here and someone will likely know about it. And probably give hints on what to check for. Probably a pretty good guess on vintage also - we have some real reg gurus here.

I occasionally see some good stuff on Craigslist also - someone who took up diving recently but isn't continuing, moving, didn't certify etc. The flipside is a I also see decent looking gear offered by relatives of the deceased for way more than it's worth. My personal philosophy is once it leaves the shop we'll start at 50%. That's what the shop will offer if you bring new gear back - they can't take it back and resell it as new.

Our classifieds is also an option - we'll shame anyone who rips off another member endlessly... But some people here have a slightly inflated opinion of the true worth of their gear IMO - although it's often better maintained.

If you find Dacor regs, don't even bother - there's no parts availability any longer years after the company was purchased by Mares prior to bankruptcy.
I see them on eBay all the time - not sure if it's a scam or people are clueless.

hth,

The servicing isn't free just the service kits which are a small percentage of the total servicie cost. It would depend on what stipulations are made by the manufacturer in order to stay in the program. Some require annual service which in almost all cases in unecessary. Most regs if treated nicely i.e rinsed properly, stored with adjuster, assuming it has one, screwed all the way out will go some years without requiring an overhaul. In the long run IMO it's cheaper to forgo the "parts for life" programs and just have them serviced when they actually need it, if it ain't broke and all that.

---------- Post added July 18th, 2015 at 11:47 PM ----------

Was typing as you posted diversteve, sorry.

cheapest way is to buy some hog regs and then sell em on ebay when they need service and buy some more. cheaper than paying for a service with kits.

Thanks all.
I'm looking closely at a Mares Abyss 22 at my LDS but wanted to see if buying the same reg second hand (through a reputable seller hopefully) would be better or not.

I'm leaning toward just buying from the LDS anyway. I like them and they deserve the revenue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added July 19th, 2015 at 08:11 AM ----------

What if I buy a reg "new in box" online for say $100 less than retail?

No warranty but don't need an immediate service or rebuild, right?

Thanks all.
I'm looking closely at a Mares Abyss 22 at my LDS but wanted to see if buying the same reg second hand (through a reputable seller hopefully) would be better or not.

I'm leaning toward just buying from the LDS anyway. I like them and they deserve the revenue.

---------- Post added July 19th, 2015 at 08:11 AM ----------

What if I buy a reg "new in box" online for say $100 less than retail?

No warranty but don't need an immediate service or rebuild, right?

It says on your user profile that you are not certified.

If you are not certified/or just got certified,
I would hold off on getting a regulator. Rent some equipment and do some dives with people at your shop or in the area. Maybe make a posting looking for divers on this site in the Fort Worth, TX area. Do some dives and see what equipment people are diving. It will be a good way to find the right equipment to buy and to ask any questions you might have.

If a regulator is new in the box, 99% chance it doesn't need to serviced, but I would bring it into the shop and have them check it out/test the IP--should take about 5 minutes.

It says on your user profile that you are not certified.

If you are not certified/or just got certified,
I would hold off on getting a regulator. Rent some equipment and do some dives with people at your shop or in the area. Maybe make a posting looking for divers on this site in the Fort Worth, TX area. Do some dives and see what equipment people are diving. It will be a good way to find the right equipment to buy and to ask any questions you might have.

If a regulator is new in the box, 99% chance it doesn't need to serviced, but I would bring it into the shop and have them check it out/test the IP--should take about 5 minutes.

Thanks for the tips.

Yeah my instructor is a good friend. We are planning some dives and I'm going to borrow a reg from him plus I'll rent another.

We've been using AquaLung Titan LX rentals in the pool.

I personally will never buy used again, my old regs, Aqualung Legend were awesome. But at close to $300 per full service it got a bit rich, my new ones have parts for life so it will only cost me $100 each service instead.

If you can do your own then used is cheaper but I don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom