Back from the Azores - a dangerous dive in a "difficult spot"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandie7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am back from a small island in the Azores. The dives were fabulous, in several environments, and I can say I learned a lot.

Azores sea can be rough, especially with strong currents, so it was all new to me.

One of the dives was in a spot that is considered difficult, (but I only learned about that later ! ) … and when the conditions were bad. The sea was especially bad that day … and it got worse when we ascended.

The spot is a steep rock / seamount. The top is 6 meters below the surface, and the bottom is at 96 meters. The plan was to go to 40 meters to see a resident Mero (Grouper – Epinephelus marginatus), then come back to a platform at 20 meters. However, the current was not only strong at the surface (we jumped tied to ropes) and there were dozens of mauve stingers (Pelagia noctiluca). We reached the seamount, “jumped”, only to realize the current was not better. We tried the other side of the seamount, circulating it and grabbing the walls. We did go to 40 meters, but my husband and I moved quickly upwards, as nothing was making sense. At 20 meters, we felt the current again. There is a movie where we all can be seen going up like hikers, grabbing the rock in the middle of big algae. One of the unexperienced divers (who was 63 years old) was almost panicking and had to be grabbed. At 6 meters, on top of the seamount, when we were starting the safety stop, the group “leader” discovered a strong current going downwards and rushed everybody to the anchor cable. I felt the tension there when lots of mauve stingers were passing by and we almost looked like flags on the cable.

However, I didn’t know what was expecting me at the surface. The conditions had worsened and it was like entering a washing machine ! I was grabbed by my husband, then the skipper, tied to the boat, and could hardly do more than keeping the regulator in my mouth :(. When the skipper took off my equipment, I had to wait for long minutes holding on to the boat, and trying not to loose strength.

Unfortunately they left the panicking diver the same way. He said he would never dive again. To me, it was an amazing experience. However, I could not discuss it objectively, as there is so much to learn, as the leader of the group simply made excuses about what happened.

I would certainly love to hear from you and your experience …

Oh boy, Sounds like a steep learning curve. I just happened to be looking at the Azores on Google Earth last night. My thoughts were that I'd never dive there w/o a Nautilus LifeLine - your're really in the middle of nowhere out there. I would hope your boat at least had a sepate zodiac for chasing down a drifting diver.
Inexperienced, 63 yrs old and into demanding conditions in the middle of the Atlantic sounds like a fine situation. Glad you all made it home safe.

That which doesn't kill us; makes us stronger and (smarter). Sounds like you had a real learning experience and pushed your skills and experience envelope. Sounds like you handled a sporty situation pretty well.

Oh boy, Sounds like a steep learning curve. I just happened to be looking at the Azores on Google Earth last night. My thoughts were that I'd never dive there w/o a Nautilus LifeLine - your're really in the middle of nowhere out there. I would hope your boat at least had a sepate zodiac for chasing down a drifting diver.
Inexperienced, 63 yrs old and into demanding conditions in the middle of the Atlantic sounds like a fine situation. Glad you all made it home safe.

What is a "sepate zodiac" ? :)

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2015 at 11:50 AM ----------

That which doesn't kill us; makes us stronger and (smarter). Sounds like you had a real learning experience and pushed your skills and experience envelope. Sounds like you handled a sporty situation pretty well.

That's how I feel, exactly. A lot of adrenaline, but no panic. And certainly a fabulous learning experience.

You didn't panic, though it appears there were many "opportunities" to have done so. Good for you, and well done.

And keeping your reg in your mouth when all else is going wrong, is not to be underrated...;-)

I think (or at least I hope) that you looked at the conditions, thought they were challenging but manageable, and then you coped. Your older colleague, however, did NOT make an accurate assessment of the conditions in the context of his abilities and inexperience, and had a bad outcome, although luckily he was not hurt.

I have dived into marginal conditions more than once. Sometimes I'm glad I did and sometimes I wish I hadn't. The worst is ALWAYS on the surface, where water has power and boats have mass.

wow some story......glad all is well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom