PADI vs. NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WannaLaguna:
Sorry, not trying to be a pain MechDiver. I'm new to the industry. I've been looking around the site but didn't find what I wanted. Why not point me in the right direction rather than being negative?

I wasn't being negative. If I suggest newbies use the search button, then I get hollered at.

If you use the search button along the top of the screen and search on "PADI vs NAUI", I think you'll find more reading than you'll ever want.

Actually, it really doesn't matter with PADI and NAUI anyway, as IANTD is much better than either of them :crafty:

Good luck in your quest.

Is a Honda better than a Mazda? Depends on who you ask. One thing is for sure; there is no absolute answer to you're question. If you're looking at an agency for continuing you're diving education, best bet is to find instructors of each, talk with them, look over their manuals and course layouts and decide which would suit your needs. If you're looking to go into the pro relm and are unsure as to which agency to pursue, ask experienced instructors of each what they like and dislike about their agency (everything from course material to technical support). It's one of those questions without a good answer... Keep in mind that the majority of people took their first scuba course without knowing the difference between agencies; usually whatever dive shop was closest or cheapest. I'm PADI certified. What I like about PADI: Great manuals and videos, lots of PADI dive shops around, I've had very competent instructors

What I dislike about PADI: Courses are structured in a way that instructors have very little leaway for improvising/adding stuff to the course content. Certifications are "too easy" to get (just my opinion...)

At the end of the day, either agency will allow you to enjoy the wonders and mystery of the deep..

Good luck

Thanks MechDiver. I've now found some great threads! Its all "good" guys. cheers. Thanks to everyone who has offered their experiences with both agencies. I too am PADI certified. I also heard recently that the PADI cert. process was a little more relaxed then it should be (not fact, just what I heard.) I want to continue to pro level and just want to weigh all the options to be the best instructor I can be. And yes, I think it really depends on the individual. thanks again everyone!

WannaLaguna:
Hi everyone, I'm starting to hear allot of talk about different dive associations..... It's becoming increasingly clear that there is a real divide among the two groups.

Looking forward to this exchange.

I've just gone through the exercise of attempting to decide if I really care what type of certification I get. My decision in the end was, not really at this point.

I went with PADI because they are MUCH more available in my area vs. others.

With the exception of DIR members, most all gave the same advice, instructors are more important vs. the certification agency.

The goal of ALL these orginatations are the same, teaching safe diving practices, and making sure that people with OW certification understand and can perform critical skills necessary to dive safely.

IMO, much of the outcome has nothing to do with the agency, but rather the effort put forth by the person taking the class.

I think this question may become more revelant if one wants to become a professional.

One thing I am going to do is to keep in mind the requirements of DIR in equipment selection when I purchase as they are rather unbending in their approach to equipment use. I may want to persue DIR at some future point...or not :wink:

Ron

I'll agree that the instructor can be much more important than the agency. What I don't like about PADI is, in their attempt to reach the masses and simplify, I think they've overdone it. I'm not sure we need to know the names and details of the gas laws (Boyles, etc), but I for one like to know the why, not just the what (ie never hold your breath). Some of what they leave out though. I have yet to meet a PADI OW diver who has a clue about tnak markings. It's fine till they get an lp steel and then they're paniced because the tanks not full. But my biggest beef is the weekend course. Unless they've really stripped down the content (maybe they have, I haven't done a PADI course), I can't see how you can learn and retain it all in a couple of days. On the dive professional side, a PADI instructor will certainly have nore options.

Pick a good instructor and remember that the only way to learn to dive is to get out and dive. Dive with lots of people and learn something from each of them. Pick a store that has an active dive club so you never run out of Dive Buddies.

PADI vs NAUI? Pick the logo that you want. It is the instructor and your mindset that matter.

Just remember that the instructor means absolutely nothing. The agency is the only true important factor... or was that the other way around? Oh well.. I didn't care who won between Jason vs Fredie Krueger or Predator vs Alien either...

Joe

MechDiver:
Then why don't you read the 10,000 posts that are already here, instead of starting yet another thread that will serve no purpose.

Exactly right!

As in, troll troll troll yer boat ... .

Jeff,

PADI and NAUI are both good vehicles to get you where your going just be careful who the driver is.

Now, not that I am suspicious or anything but am I the only person who noticed the diveguy.com reference in Jeff's Avatar and the PADI logo on said website? plus he is a new member ( not that anything is wrong with that - welcome)

OK so what is the deal here - enquiring minds want to know? Is this a post, an Advertisement or a troll? ( not that I mind fishing as it's often very entertaining and he has the guts to post his name in his profile).

Dive Source:
Jeff,

PADI and NAUI are both good vehicles to get you where your going just be careful who the driver is.

Now, not that I am suspicious or anything but am I the only person who noticed the diveguy.com reference in Jeff's Avatar and the PADI logo on said website? plus he is a new member ( not that anything is wrong with that - welcome)

OK so what is the deal here - enquiring minds want to know? Is this a post, an Advertisement or a troll? ( not that I mind fishing as it's often very entertaining and he has the guts to post his name in his profile).

Brian,

You may want to re-read his posts...He want's to go pro and is wondering which road to take.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom