Use of the long free diving fins while on scuba when spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the Mako Freedive Hunters are only $68. I personally wouldn't get interchangable blades unless I was freediving. And I'm terrible at freediving :D

Never tried the Mako fins but others have no complaints.

Mako Freedive Hunters are not available in my size.

I have small narrow feet, which limits my choices in full foot fins, plus I like a snug fit (I use full foot snorkel/scuba fins). Mako Comp Freediver is the model I was looking at. Available in my size, the interchangeable blades is a feature I wasn't looking for, but useful.

I personally wouldn't get interchangable blades unless I was freediving. And I'm terrible at freediving :D

Why not (when on scuba)?

(I am not sure why one would need interchangeable blades anyways :) )

From what I've read, the ability to replace/change blades is a good feature. Start with the cheap plastic blades, upgrade to fiberglass, upgrade to carbon fiber if/when you become more serious about free diving, replace a damaged or old blade.

I imagine if you wanted to sell used, it's also a selling point.

Actually the Mako Freedive Hunters are only $68. I personally wouldn't get interchangable blades unless I was freediving. And I'm terrible at freediving :D

Never tried the Mako fins but others have no complaints.

Thanks for the positive comments.

We know of two guys who scuba spearfish well past 300 ft and they say they PREFER these fins over any others (see below).

The benefits of a fixed blade are that no (reasonable) amount of abuse will cause the blade and foot pocket to become detached. The unified construction is very robust and allows the fin to be made inexpensively. Our fin is made at the same factory were some other (larger) brands have their fins made. However, we have no retail network to support - so the MAKO DIRECT price is extremely competitive.

Also, can I mention that if you ever lose a fin, we will sell you a single for half price.. I mean why not,, it is not like there is a left and a right fin...yes??:)

I can also reinforce the idea that freedive fins are extremely popular within the scuba spearo market. Generally I think that, these people are somewhat fanatical and dive more frequently than the typical recreational diver and they are tough on their gear and demand performance.

We sell a variety of fins and blades. Our more inexpensive blades and fins have a blades stiffness that is medium. Our more expensive fiberglass, hybrid fiberglass/carbon fiber and top of the line -carbon fiber blades all have the option of a soft or a medium blade stiffness.

We often recommend that freedivers who weigh less than 200 lbs select soft blades and the larger and/or heavy divers select medium stiffness. This is not a hard and fast rule, and personal preference, kicking style and also the type of diving being pursued are all relevant considerations. For example, if you are going to swim off the beach, go out a 1/4 or half mile, swim steadily for several hours - then a stiffer fin is more likely to be a problem.

If you are an accomplished diver, who is doing relatively few dives per day, you are not doing very long surface swims (maybe diving from a drifting boat) and are doing deep dives where you are especially heavy coming off the bottom or trying to drag fish up, then a stiffer (medium) blade may be a better choice.

Scuba divers are typically NOT going to be swimming for as long or as far as a freediver, so the benefit of a soft blade may be lessened.

If you are concerned that the large blade of a freedive fin will be too taxing on your legs, then you may want to consider selecting a soft blade.

Freedive fins are not intended to be hard to kick, they are intended to allow a diver to swim at a good pace and to utilize the natural flexibility and recoil response of the blade to propel a diver as efficiently as possible. The feeling of a push by the gentle snapping back of the blade may be surprising the first time you use these types of fins.

We also hear that our footpockets, which are more anatomically correct than most any open heel scuba fin, are more comfortable, fit better and also are more efficient in the transfer of energy from the foot to the blade.

Another tip for the first time shopper is to examine the sole of the foot pocket.

If only the forward half of the bottom of the pocket is rigid and the heel is floppy or soft and folds down when you horizontally hold the fin by just the heel.. then avoid those models. They result in excessive flexing of the footpocket which stresses the foot, causes fatigue and wastes energy. All quality fins will share this same attribute of a solid sole.

thanks!

dano

freedive-hunter-freediving-fins.jpg

Why not (when on scuba)?

(I am not sure why one would need interchangeable blades anyways :) )

Interchangable blades mean that you can match the footpocket that best fits your foot with the blade you want. i.e. you are not tied to a particular blade / footpocket combo.

When I bought my DiveR blades I tried on several foot pockets, found the one that best suited my size/shape foot and then the blades I wanted were easily fitted. (Most foot pockets and blades have the same "angle" to them).

Foot pocket fit is important for power transfer.

Anyone heard of Leaderfins ?

Foot pockets are supposed to be similar to Omer Stingrays, but Leaderfins offers a lot more size options and their fiberglass fins are cheaper than most plastic fins at around $115. They are located in Europe so shipping to US is expensive, but still look to be a bargain for fiberglass fins.

They offer a short fin version that is 31". I think I am going to give the 31" fiberglass fins a try. Might be just what I was looking for scuba.

I'm currently in the market for free dive fins, and plan on trying them with scuba also.

I want to only spend around $100. I have found several brands for that price. What I don't know is how stiff a fin I should get.
I'm 5'6" ~135 pounds, but have strong legs (I run marathons). Would the same fin be good for scuba as would be for free diving? Also I only plan on free diving for short amounts of time. No full days of free diving. The dive shops near me don't sell free dive fins, so I need advice from you guys.

Thanks

I'm currently in the market for free dive fins, and plan on trying them with scuba also.

I want to only spend around $100. I have found several brands for that price. What I don't know is how stiff a fin I should get.
I'm 5'6" ~135 pounds, but have strong legs (I run marathons). Would the same fin be good for scuba as would be for free diving? Also I only plan on free diving for short amounts of time. No full days of free diving. The dive shops near me don't sell free dive fins, so I need advice from you guys.

Thanks

the muscles used in cycling help with freedive fins...running muscles, not so much.
Your first set should be fairly soft.....If they ever get to feel too soft for optimal diving, it is always good to have a soft pair and a stiffer pair.....different objectives.
It will be easier to learn the coordination and to build the swimming power with the softer blades, for quite some time.

Thanks
You could look here:
FreeDiveShop | Wetsuits | Spearfishing | Wet-suits | Camo Wetsuits | Camouflage Wetsuits | Freediving Wetsuits | Spearfishing Wetsuits
They are actually only about 2 hours away from my house and I've been there, quite an impressive warehouse they have. Call them, they are very friendly and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom