Indonesian Airline Excess Baggage Fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind that you're in Indonesia - things change.

Yup, like volcanoes erupting. I'll take along the Facebook response I got and the brochure and will beg them for mercy if the rules do change between now and the end of the year. I think I can squeak in under 35 kg but I sure hope it's still 43 kg.

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2015 at 07:16 PM ----------

Were your international flights on the same ticket though?

My own experience...If your international flights are on the same ticket as the domestic flights, then yes, this holds true. If your domestic flights are on a different ticket, then you only get 23kg on the domestic sectors.

Learned this the hard way.

If you got away with it, consider yourself lucky. It's not supposed​ to be in addition :)

You should have been entitled to at least the 15 kg Sports Equipment Allowance on top of the 20 kg allowance unless that wasn't in effect when you got tagged. The Garuda guy asked me for my record locators, which I gave him, so he shouldn't have assumed I was flying internationally on Garuda. Both of my record locators were for domestic flights.

SE Allowance used to be 15kg. It was increased to 23kg last year. My Garuda ticket was a separate domestic ticket, not part of the international ticket. Before my trip last Oct/Nov I got 15 kg extra free.

SE Allowance used to be 15kg. It was increased to 23kg last year. My Garuda ticket was a separate domestic ticket, not part of the international ticket. Before my trip last Oct/Nov I got 15 kg extra free.

The news is getting better all the time. :D

My bag 2 months ago (May) weighed 26kg and I got hit for excess baggage.

YMMV.

And which airport. I tend to find I get far more hassle with my baggage in Bali than I do anywhere else in Indo.

I flew domestic Garuda last Oct/Nov. 20kg reg allowance + 23kg extra for sporting equipment (scuba gear) free of charge at check-in. Total 43kg no charge. Charge/kg varies at different airports. More at Jakarta & Denpasar, less at outer islands.

Did you have to notify Garuda in advance or just let them know when you checked in?

I just downloaded this from Garuda's Web site so it's current as of July 22, 2015. The allowance for scuba gear is 23 kg. Excess weight (so anything over 43 kg for divers) is charged at 1.5% of the one-way regular economy airfare per kg.

Garuda Baggage Fee 1.jpgGaruda Baggage Fee.jpg

I just received this info from Mermaid Liveaboards (for the Manado - Sorong flight):

"...it is Rp 16,500/kg by Lion Air. Garuda gives free 23 kg additional luggage allowance for sport equipment but you need to request it upon check in."

just came back from Komodo, I had to pay for the Wings Flight Bali to Bima everything above 10 kg. However its very cheap, I paid 13200 IDR per kg which is around 1 USD per kg.
There was a little bit of confusion about my airline which said Lion (they give 15kg free) , but under the flight info it said operated by Wings Air (which only gives 10 kg)

Back
Top Bottom