Indonesian Airline Excess Baggage Fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flew Garuda domestic flights (no international) from Bali to Jakarta to Ambon and return in April with a group. I have Skypriority status, which Garuda honors. I checked two bags totaling about 75 pounds. No questions asked and no excess baggage fees. Some of the others in the group had about the same weight. At check-in, they were asked if they had scuba gear. One person said no and was charged excess baggage fees. The others said yes and they were not charged excess baggage fees. On the return flight, the live-aboard operator checked in all guests bags and obtained our boarding passes for us. Because the flights were domestic, the operator could do this without us being present. No excess baggage fees were charged to anybody in the group. The operator said Garuda generally does not charge excess baggage fees for dive equipment, but on occasion that have done so.

Flew Garuda domestic flights (no international) from Bali to Jakarta to Ambon and return in April with a group. I have Skypriority status, which Garuda honors. I checked two bags totaling about 75 pounds. No questions asked and no excess baggage fees. Some of the others in the group had about the same weight. At check-in, they were asked if they had scuba gear. One person said no and was charged excess baggage fees. The others said yes and they were not charged excess baggage fees. On the return flight, the live-aboard operator checked in all guests bags and obtained our boarding passes for us. Because the flights were domestic, the operator could do this without us being present. No excess baggage fees were charged to anybody in the group. The operator said Garuda generally does not charge excess baggage fees for dive equipment, but on occasion that have done so.

It seems that one doesn't have to notify Garuda in advance even though Garuda says that's required. Good to know.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2015 at 09:53 AM ----------

Here is Garuda's reply when I sent the e-reservation folks an e-mail telling them I would be checking in scuba gear:

Dear Sir/Madam

Salam Garuda Indonesia,

Regarding your inquiry related to Garuda Indonesia Free Baggage Allowance Concept, we can inform you that:

For International Flight:
- First class : 50 kg, Bussiness class : 40 kg , Economy class : 30 kg

For Domestic Flight :
- 30 kg (Business Class) and 20 kg (Economy Class)

Cabin luggage free :
- maximum dimension 56cm x 36cm x 23 cm and maximum weight 7 kg.
- Sporting equipment free and maximum weight 23 kg
- Carry surfboard up to less than 3M long including the cover
- Scuba diving equipment is free for first 23 kilos and max dimension not more than 158cm2 (62 inch).
- Student free 10 kilos but if your ticket issued for student, inform to our staff at the airport show your Student Card.

Always make reservation for special baggage at least 48 hours before departure, and ensure the reservation confirmed. Upgrading Checked Baggage capacity can be proceeded at the departure station when you check-in. Free additional of Checked Baggage can received by certain level of GarudaMiles or Skyteam membership and or certain route.

Excess baggage charge for international flight will be approximately 1,5% perkilo from IATA economy class ticket fare (one way). For domestic flight 1,5% perkilo from economy class ticket (one way) for excess baggage up to 10 kg and 1 % perkilo from economy class ticket (one way).

For further information, please do not hesitate to contact our 24 hours Global Contact Center at +6221 -2351 9999 or 08 041 807 807.

If there is more question related to this issue or a new enquiry, please kindly send us another email to
e-booking@garuda-indonesia.com with different subject and please do not reply this e-mail due to due to this case number complete

Thank you for your kindly attention and cooperation.

Best Regards,
Garuda Indonesia Web Support Team,

Gita

In November 2014 I flew from London to Sorong via Jakarta and Makassar. Used Garuda all the way and in addition to the usual free allowance of 23 kilos for economy, they allowed a further 15 Kilos for scuba gear. More than enough.

Of course, they do not check to see if you have no scuba gear on your 23Kg bag and only scuba gear on the 15kg one. But they do ask for proof of your diver status.

I booked my ticket 10 months before and so now there is a flat level of 30kg for economy.

In November 2014 I flew from London to Sorong via Jakarta and Makassar. Used Garuda all the way and in addition to the usual free allowance of 23 kilos for economy, they allowed a further 15 Kilos for scuba gear. More than enough.

Of course, they do not check to see if you have no scuba gear on your 23Kg bag and only scuba gear on the 15kg one. But they do ask for proof of your diver status.

I booked my ticket 10 months before and so now there is a flat level of 30kg for economy.

Too bad most international carriers don't have code share partners with domestic Indo carriers. All of the international carriers that I've flown to SE Asia on (e.g., Cathay Pacific, EVA, China Airlines, Singapore, etc.) have a two checked bag allowance up to 23 kg each. Now that Canadian airlines charge extra for any checked bags, I try to get itineraries where I can fly all the way from Calgary to the final destination on one ticket (as opposed to Calgary to Vancouver on one ticket and then Vancouver to the final destination on another ticket). That saves me about $120 round trip ($30 per bag one-way).

All of the international carriers that I've flown to SE Asia on (e.g., Cathay Pacific, EVA, China Airlines, Singapore, etc.) have a two checked bag allowance up to 23 kg each.
Only for US (and maybe Canada) based customers. For lesser mortals like those of us coming from the UK or European mainland, the rules are much more stringent. Cathay Pacific are the worst, allowing 20kg flat and nothing else; Singapore Airlines used to do the same but in the last 2 years have increased the economy allowance to 30kg.

Hello,

Being a liveaboard operator in Indonesia, I can confirm the Garuda 20 + 23 kgs allowance. Our guests so far never got troubles with that and never had to pay excess luggage for dive gear on Garuda. They just may ask you a dive certification at check in, and a bag should not exceed 30 kgs.

Enjoy your holidays and your dives !

Hello,

Being a liveaboard operator in Indonesia, I can confirm the Garuda 20 + 23 kgs allowance. Our guests so far never got troubles with that and never had to pay excess luggage for dive gear on Garuda. They just may ask you a dive certification at check in, and a bag should not exceed 30 kgs.

Enjoy your holidays and your dives !

They'll hardly ask for dive certs (like Silkair used to) but sometimes ask to open your bag to check whether this is really dive/sports equipment and not just plain overweight.
This is why I suggested in an old post where everything posted above incl the 23kg sporting equipment was explained, that you put a pair of fins and a wet suit on top of your luggage, concealing other pieces that may not be considered like dive gear.

Also for domestic flights where Garuda/airport staff is not really up to their luggage rules (understatement :D ) it is better to know a few words like "Saya menyelam" (I am diving) and point to your bag and say "Selam equipment" (diving equipment), until you get the application of your overweight free of charge ... discussing and asking is paramount in Indonesia.

Too bad most international carriers don't have code share partners with domestic Indo carriers. All of the international carriers that I've flown to SE Asia on (e.g., Cathay Pacific, EVA, China Airlines, Singapore, etc.) have a two checked bag allowance up to 23 kg each. Now that Canadian airlines charge extra for any checked bags, I try to get itineraries where I can fly all the way from Calgary to the final destination on one ticket (as opposed to Calgary to Vancouver on one ticket and then Vancouver to the final destination on another ticket). That saves me about $120 round trip ($30 per bag one-way).

How do you fly to avoid Vancouver please? I'm also in Calgary.

Anyone know Express Air's "excess" (over 10kgs is excess?) baggage fees?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Only for US (and maybe Canada) based customers. For lesser mortals like those of us coming from the UK or European mainland, the rules are much more stringent. Cathay Pacific are the worst, allowing 20kg flat and nothing else; Singapore Airlines used to do the same but in the last 2 years have increased the economy allowance to 30kg.
I fly SQ any time over CX to Europe even I have to make a short stop over in Singapore. The fare is cheaper and the service is better. CX is going down the hill fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom