What are all levels of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm kind of surprised nobody has posted PADI's course outline.
PADI-Con-Ed-Flow-Chart.jpg
This is their path of certifications for recreational diving. Once you have your "Open Water Diver" you are certified. Everything after that is additional certification that allows for different types of diving and different depths.

Cool... I'd forgotten writing that! LOL!

For the OP. I have been teaching technical diving for more than 20 years... diving a little longer. I am still taking courses, still qualifying for programs that interest me. Last one was Advanced Mixed Gas Instructor on the SF2 eCCR. I am not sure how many pieces of plastic I own, but my "I LOVE ME" wall has no more room for diplomas... so the answer to your question should be perhaps:

More than most of us will ever have time or interest in achieving... but learning is fun.

Yeah ... what Steve said. There is no "final certification as a diver". And like some other folks said, there's no substitute for experience. Certifications are a great way to learn, but what they usually teach you is how to learn ... the real education comes from experience.

I have a drawer full of c-cards ... most of which I have never even looked at since I received them and tossed them into that drawer. The class gave me something I wanted ... but in only a few cases did the card ever offer me anything of value.

Don't pursue dive instruction as the end goal. Go diving. Only sign up for that next class when you feel like you can really get something out of it. And get comfortable with what you learned before moving on to the next class ... otherwise you're likely to come out of it either frustrated or feeling like you didn't learn anything. Good divers get good because they dive ... a lot. Good instructors get good because they love to teach ... scuba diving just happens to be the subject matter. Good divers don't always make good instructors ... but good instructors are always good divers. You have to gain the skills before you can understand them well enough to be able to pass them on.

Welcome to an amazing world ... no matter how long you do it, or how often you go diving, there is always something new to learn and experience ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd recommend diving as much as you can and along the way pick up AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, Deep, and may be Altitude and Navigation if needed. And along the way, ignoring the DM and instructor sales pitch from your instructors, you can run across what you enjoy doing as a diver and then focus on that, and it may be instructing after all. Point being, it looks like fun to be a highly trained instructor and authority figure, but you are just starting and there are a multitude of things to do and see diving, and you haven't scratched the surface yet. You can become a DM and instructor anytime along the way and bring experiences to your students that are unique.

My personal focus has moved from one thing to another over the years, and have always enjoyed being underwater. Although I have been a mentor on occasions, I realized along the way that I liked to dive a lot more than I liked to teach, teaching takes more patience than I have for people, and is too repetitious to keep my attention focused. Another consideration was that the time I was able to spend away from my family, I would rather enjoy my diving with friends instead of having a another job, and, on the average, a low or non paying one at that.

Bob
-----------------------------------
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
Lao Tzu

Jesse

are you looking for the major steps? ow , aow , master diver, dive master, instructor? Thats just the rec side of things.

Now some of these major steps require some sub steps. Such as master diver requires rescue ect.

Back
Top Bottom