Question about dive school pricing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just don't want to get saddled with exorbitant costs if I need extra time. Of the two places I've been considering one includes everything while the other requires the purchase of mask, snorkel, and fins. The difference in price is about $75.

With no other information, I would take the one that saves $75 and borrow M/F/S from my brother.

If you're gettng into diving with the primary goal of saving money... you might want to consider bowling instead.

I'm just saying.

if you're going to take up diving, ypu're going to want at least your own mask, fins, snorkel. If you want to save a few dollars by choosing the one that will let you borrow their crappy, ill-fitting loaners (they will be crappy and ill-fitting) and be miserable during the class just keep in mind that you'll still wind up buying your own mask, fins, and snorkel afterwards.

Ok I need to make something clear. I don't have a problem spending money. I have over $50,000 invested in flight training. I know what it means to find quality instruction. I understand the importance of proper equipment. My whole point is I don't want to get ripped off.
Im just saying.

If you're gettng into diving with the primary goal of saving money... you might want to consider bowling instead.

I'm just saying.

if you're going to take up diving, ypu're going to want at least your own mask, fins, snorkel. If you want to save a few dollars by choosing the one that will let you borrow their crappy, ill-fitting loaners (they will be crappy and ill-fitting) and be miserable during the class just keep in mind that you'll still wind up buying your own mask, fins, and snorkel afterwards.

As opposed to having some dive shop sell you their selection of just the perfect M/F/S for the class. The more time you can take to learn what is best for you and where best to make the purchase, the better (for you, not necessarily the shop).

---------- Post added July 26th, 2015 at 08:52 PM ----------

. My whole point is I don't want to get ripped off.
Im just saying.

Buying recreational scuba gear without getting ripped off!!! That may be quite a challenge.

Search prices online. Search prices on ebay. Good Luck.

Ok I need to make something clear. I don't have a problem spending money. I have over $50,000 invested in flight training. I know what it means to find quality instruction. I understand the importance of proper equipment. My whole point is I don't want to get ripped off.
Im just saying.
Ok so you have spent 50k on flight training. -So therefore you will appreciate that $75.00 is insignificant compared to the value of a good instructor.
Not trying to sway you either way but given the price is almost the same then your APPARENT focus on the dollars seems wrong.
My Focus again would be on the quality of the training

Ok so you have spent 50k on flight training. -So therefore you will appreciate that $75.00 is insignificant compared to the value of a good instructor.
Not trying to sway you either way but given the price is almost the same then your APPARENT focus on the dollars seems wrong.
My Focus again would be on the quality of the training

To me, $75 is not insignificant. You are welcome to use your $75 as toilet paper. I would rather use mine to purchase another day of diving.

$75 is not significant to me either. This thread has gone south rather quickly. I don't understand how any of you could for one second believe I would sacrifice quality to save a few bucks.

I guess in my region I am blessed that fair pricing plays a huge roll in things. I have witnessed one school in my region thats advertising open water classes at $199.99. I usually encourage people to come here for that purpose plus doing open water dives in the lakes to me helps divers be better prepared for clear salt water. It allows students to learn how to problem solve in low visibility.

So when schools quote prices you have to remember some places look at the old way of thinking that charging a huge fee is the way too go because people should pay for it. But the new strategy is that the students are commanding the price by being willing to shop around and find the better deal.

Dont settle for schools that are firm but instead be willing to shop around and set out your guidelines. Are you willing to drive over 100 miles and get a hotel and still come out cheaper or would you rather stay local and pay 3 or 4 times more?

Not trying to be negative but times have changed were marketing used to make sense at charging the absolute most people are willing to pay and now is trying to attract the most business by charging a fair price thats fair to both the consumer while still allowing you to make some money on what you sale.

---------- Post added July 26th, 2015 at 10:28 PM ----------

$75 is not significant to me either. This thread has gone south rather quickly. I don't understand how any of you could for one second believe I would sacrifice quality to save a few bucks.

Unfortunately and not to say anyone here is doing this but to justify charging ungodly rates people have resorted to claiming if you pay less you get less. This is not always true especially in todays competitive market.

---------- Post added July 26th, 2015 at 10:36 PM ----------

As opposed to having some dive shop sell you their selection of just the perfect M/F/S for the class. The more time you can take to learn what is best for you and where best to make the purchase, the better (for you, not necessarily the shop).

I like this post because its so true. I cant say that a dive shop has ever sold me junk knock on wood but the truth is they are in business to make money. New divers come in and dont know anything about split fins verse traditional fins and as a result are at the mercy of the salesman.

Now granted I feel most shops to some extent are honest because repeat customers are their lifeblood but the truth is asking which is best is the same as going for your first car and know nothing about fuel mileage, room, power etc and ask the salesman what the perfect vehicle would be.

To the OP,

Some of the people who have replied are dive pros so I think it's understandable that they point out that quality of instruction is important - I'm not a dive pro but what I can tell you is that in the real world it can be surprising at the lengths some people will go to just to save a few quid/dollars. The dive pros will have experienced this and are just trying to be helpful which is why the tone of the replies is what it is.

Most dive pros are wanting repeat business so it is in their interest to make the learning experience efficient and fun. Don't worry about this - The vast majority of trainees get through their training in the timescales set by the instructor and if more time is needed there's usually a genuine reason for it - it might cost a bit more for the student in the short term but the instructor has to be satisfed that the student is good to go diving once they hit the water without an instructor being present.

Because people do it ALL the time. I've had students show up for class with gear that should have been condemned years ago - cracked hoses, repurposed (non scuba) tanks, masks that have the rubber rotted away - and then get upset when they're told that gear isn't suitable for their class. It's not a reflection on you, it's what most instructors have seen from students on multiple occasions.

-Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom