SOT Kayak and rebreathers/doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Curious if anyone is using a kayak and rebreathers or doubles? Obviously the load capacity would have to be in the range of 500-600lbs to do this.

I'm asking because I am looking at buying a SOT kayak for messing around here on Vancouver Island and was curious if anyone has every done this with tech gear.

Thanks

Steve

why so much weight? Rebreathers and CCR's don't weigh nearly that much....

If you need that much weight, you're basically restricted to a canoe or other small real boat. I've used a Tarpon 140 with small doubles before, but it's load capacity is only 375.

Sorry that was suppose to be 400-500 range. I'm planning Other uses as well like camping, and a few other activities that require additional capacity. That and I alone weight 250. Would need a rebreather and a bailout, that's an additional 100-130 lbs of gear. (Dry suit/etc included).

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

aaen, 1st of all, have no idea about the answer(s) to any of your question(s), but I have a question, is this the same island they filmed 'Alone'(short TV series) ??/.........tia

------------2nd thought though(I dive singles from a SOT in fresh water) & occasionally go to a sub-forum 'Florida Kayak Divers'...link:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-kayak-divers/

??maybe ask around there & someone will have some info...........good luck........

Haha, Vancouver island takes 7 hours to drive from top to tail, and about 3-4 to drive across depending on where you are on the island. It's definitely not a tiny island.

The kayak is mainly going to be used for other activities/exploration of the various small islands/beaches along the coast and possible carry camping gear and a dog as well. But I figured I'd ask if it is realistic can be dive from with tech gear. No I do not want to do those activities at the same time. Was thinking it may open up my diving range from time to time.

I'm also not interested in hearing about safety/etc. just curious if anyone has done it and if it so do they have any recommendations on technique for diving with tech gear off of one.

Mainly just curious as I really don't like

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

Last edited:
The kayak is mainly going to be used---- and possible carry a dog as well.

Always remember, a man's best buddy is his dog.......:)

The old OK Scupper Pro TW will carry two tanks, one rigged in the back and one in the forward hold. It actually rides better with some forward weight. However, having both tanks in the same location, hmmmm, no. Now, I have changed them out, while at sea, it is a little cumbersome. I would think any number of the larger kayaks would handle a rebreather. The real issue is getting geared up without drowning. If you got your arms or legs tied up getting in and out of a suit and you capsize, well, not fun. All of my experience, which is I am a SOT beginner, I am in a rash guard and shorts, maybe a neoprene zip vest. N

I spent a month in Saipan doing research, diving every day out of an old sevylor diveyak. I only dove singles, but I would carry two tanks out each day. My biggest concern would be trying to fit doubles in the kayak. Two singles wouldn't fit (at least in mine) side-by-side. Stacking them in the stern created a LOT of drag, and gave only a few inches of freeboard at the stern (it was very tippy, too). If you've got a big enough kayak or a good method of stowing the tanks, I think your next challenge will be getting the tanks back in the yak after a dive. I found the best way was to manhandle the rig in BEFORE I got in; every time I tried to pull them in while I was on the kayak, I flipped it. This was with single AL80s. I think trying to push a set of 120s would be impossible for me, but then again I'm a small guy.

I think once you clear those hurdles, you'd be good to go.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is how I get the SCUBA back aboard. First I doff and tether my rig, wing inflated, and I get myself in the boat (strong scissor kick and push up grabbing to the opposite gunwale and sliding in on my belly) and then remove my fins secure my fins and mask and all the other items I might have. Then, I flip around facing the tank well and with my feet hanging over the opposite side of the yak that the SCUBA is tethered, reach down and grab the SCUBA and heave it into the tank well and at the same time rotating my legs/feet into the yak. The SCUBA winding up between my legs (if all goes well). There are probably better ways and mine is a work in progress for sure.

James

Back
Top Bottom