Diving facial hair/mask fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am so confident this mask will fit (and be comfortable and not leak) .. that we will accept a return of you are not delighted. Don't be turned off by the low price too.. We sell direct, with no retail stores, no retail overhead, no retail middleman - so the MAKO Direct Price can be very competitive on Quality products.

I use this mask for scuba and freediving.

Thanks
dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/Minimus-Mini-Freedive-Mask-p/mmm.htm

If this offer stands for all your customers and not just the OP I will be placing an order for one of these masks. I have gone through probably two dozen masks and have not found one that does not leak on my face.

If this offer stands for all your customers and not just the OP I will be placing an order for one of these masks. I have gone through probably two dozen masks and have not found one that does not leak on my face.

I have the same problem and just ordered one. Hope it's as good as they say it is. (Leaking masks were my biggest issue in my rebreather course).

My first few hundred dives I too was worried about leakage around the skirt of my mask where it comes in contact with my mustache. I must have bought 5-6 different masks trying the find one that fit. I also tried chap stick, bees wax, vasoline, trimming under my nose...all with various degrees of success or failure. Now I have learned to ignore the water in my mask and just clear it every so often. I know my mask, regardless of which brand or model I use, will either leak near the surface, leak when I smile, leak when I turn my head, etc. I just subconsciously clear it.

That was my attitude too, until I started dribbling diluent away by having to continuously clear my mask.

My PP is now old and gray but still leaks slightly on occasion. One thing I make sure of is that there is absolutely no sunscreen anywhere near the mask sealing area. That helps. Someone mentioned skipping the shower. No way for me as I would rather give up coffee in the morning than my shower. In addition to sunscreen, some soaps and shampoos leave a film that causes a leak. So sometimes I just use saltwater to wash my face before diving. Never tried the silicone gel but should work.

All,

Thanks for all the input since I started this thread two years ago. I tried everything people suggested here. After my last two tank boat diver where i felt the experience was just annoying more than it was worth, I just shaved it all off. No more moustache, no more goatee. Guess what? I never had to clear my mask on two complete dives- the first time in years.

Since I am an underwater photo/video guy, having to fuss with a mask is royal pain in the ass.

I guess we all have different types of hair, and some are just not suited for diving. Some people say I look a lot younger, so that's a bonus. But I have resigned myself to the fact that to enjoy diving, I must be clean shaven.

Sorry for my tardy response.. YES, the offer to replace stands for everyone.

I have a purge valve in my mask. Problem solved.

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2015 at 07:15 PM ----------

I should have said I have a purge valve in my old mask. I have a new DataMask that does not have a purge valve. Does anyone know if I can have a purge valve installed?

Sorry for my tardy response.. YES, the offer to replace stands for everyone.

Sorry, but I have to ask- what exactly makes this mask so different? Everyone has a different shaped face, and the eyes+nose+mouth arrangement has a lot to do with it.

I loved my facial hair, but it was murder to dive with. I might as well have just stuck a straw under the skirt to let the water in.

Chiming in as a fellow diver with facial hair: never been a problem. I keep my goatee quite short as it looks bad when I try to grow it out, but I don't really notice leaking. The edge of the silicone skirt rides pretty close to my nostrils though so it's not as if it sits on much facial hair. You could trim the top of the mustache area a bit to help things out. I did that for one dive trip as I was concerned about mask leaking. It looks a bit funny to me though. I also probably have finer facial hair than some guys which may make things easier. Not sure if it's an age or genetics thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom