Raped for repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is high normal for SoFla.
I had an Aqua Lung Titan serviced a few months ago.
It had been living in someone's closet for 5 years or longer when I got it from a friend on a semi permanent loan.
It had a cracked cover on the 2nd stage.
The mouthpiece was rotten.
And with these parts being replaced, and of course the reg parts in the first stage and second stage that needed to be replaced, It cost me about $115 with tax included.
But as you had an octo, that's an additional $25.
I typically go between 5 and 10 years at a time between my total regulator services.
And they get used a lot.

Chug
Thinks that if it isn't broken, you don't fix it.

That sounds a little too high. If it's broken don't fix it indeed. Sherwood dry air bleed 1st stages will go forever. Mine was 20 yo when I had it serviced. After that I had to fix the 2nd atages since they disn't work right after service. 2nd stages it's easy to replace worn parts and adjust. 1st stages just get an Intermediate Pressure guage and service if it's not right.

Exactly why I have Cressi AC2, XS2, and Hollis 500SE regs. Parts are available, manuals are available online, The servicing is simple and all you need other than parts & manuals is an IP gauge, 5.5 mm allen, some O-ring grease, patience and attention to detail. I think a full set of replacement parts runs me about $15 per. It ain't rocket science. Nor does it take hours and hours to do it right. I am simply not going to pay a huge percentage of what I paid for the reg new to have it disassembled, looked at, and put back together. Most years all I need is a very light cleaning. Oh, I do bring parts kits, tools and the manuals on dive vacations as part of my save a dive vacation kit. Never had to use them.

Reactions: Ana
Yes. You did. Not that it's uncommon apparently.

I feel the same every time I file an income tax return. Exploitative over-pricing. Because they can.

I just had my Mikron and Octo serviced it cost me $90, including shipping. I send mine to a factory authorized repair/service shop, not my LDS.

I just had my Zeagle serviced and it cost me $160. And it still makes noise at depth.. ugh.. have yet to find a shop that can work on it without screwing it up. Like to find a decent shop that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to have it serviced.. yeah, it's a rip off..

You're better of just buying a simple MK2/R190 for $299.00 and diving it for about 5 or 10 years or until it doesn't work anymore then ebaying it and buying another. Forget servicing. If you do it that way it'll only cost you about $50 a year or less.
Or, you could learn to service it yourself which takes literally about 5 minutes or less and parts are about $10.

my kits were 10-15 per kit mk25 s699 s650

I just had my 1st and 2nd (MK-10/G250) serviced. $137 out the door, including parts and tax...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom