What I am missing - The use of rebreathers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s the way diving should be!!! Before you ever learnt to dive you may have had some sort of “romantic” expectations of what it’s like the silent world and all that, then your do your OW course where you learn all about the limitations of OC, and it's not all that quiet with bubbles blasting past your ears after every breath scaring the fish away, a tank does not really last that long and there are decompression limitations etc…

Well diving a rebreather is what you always thought diving would be like before you did your open water course, quite (only the ticking of flapper valves as you breath in and out, the occasional firing of the solenoid), virtually unlimited gas supply, more relaxing not having to keep an eye on that SPG etc.
Whilst I got a rebreather to assist achieve my diving goals in the 50 plus meter range exploring deep reefs and wrecks, I also enjoy using my rebreather on the shallower dives, doing long dives where I can fully explore a site, taking my time much more relaxing than OC and feeling more at one with the surrounds. I always found on OC I always got to the best part of the dive just as it was time to think about ascending. Now on rebreather I can take all the time I need knowing I have plenty of gas to do what I want and any deco that might accrue.

more relaxing not having to keep an eye on that SPG

Yeah, not like there's anything you need to monitor on CCR.

on rebreather I can take all the time I need knowing I have plenty of gas to do what I want and any deco that might accrue.

That better depend on how much bail-out gas you're lugging with you. Then again, I once watched someone run up a good 45 minutes of CC deco on a dive where he brought a whopping 40cf of 32% for OC bailout and nothing else...the ass-chewing he received upon surfacing was epic.

That better depend on how much bail-out gas you're lugging with you. Then again, I once watched someone run up a good 45 minutes of CC deco on a dive where he brought a whopping 40cf of 32% for OC bailout and nothing else...the ass-chewing he received upon surfacing was epic.

I remember that day fondly.

Yeah, not like there's anything you need to monitor on CCR.

That's where SCR comes in handy to stretch that limited supply.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

My advice is to do a try dive on whatever CCR model is convenient to your location. You can then decide.

FWIW I was not interested in CCR after a lot of digging and talking to people who used them. Mostly due to ROI. After a try dive of 90 minutes in 20m of a reef I have seen many times, I surfaced and immediately purchased one. If you like silent no bubble interactions with wildlife (I do) you will not be disappointed.

There is another thread on the danger/not of CCR. My opinion is the same and has been stated a few times:

If you have reasonable intelligence and can understand the risks fully and you have done an honest assessment of your limitations and still feel you want one - go for it.

CCR is, IMO, not an extreme sport. It is just a piece of kit used/needed to achieve a goal. Only you can decide if you possess the needed attributes and skills to drive one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's where SCR comes in handy to stretch that limited supply.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Sure, a BOB SCR would have made a 40 of 32% perfectly reasonable. Or a BOB of any kind, really...which was obviously not present and would have been a good deal more complicated than just bringing another 40 of O2.

Point being, the CCR's touted ability to let you "take all the time you need because gas is there to do whatever deco you rack up" has to be balanced by some plan to complete that deco should the CCR go absolutely tits up at the worst possible moment.

... I once watched someone run up a good 45 minutes of CC deco on a dive where he brought a whopping 40cf of 32% for OC bailout and nothing else...the ass-chewing he received upon surfacing was epic.

Did he finish his deco with the bottles on his unit? Did he send up a slate begging for more gas?

Did he finish his deco with the bottles on his unit? Did he send up a slate begging for more gas?

Because the CCR kept working, all was fine. Had he had to bail out before/early in deco, yeah, I expect there would have been a note (if he had a slate, which I'm not sure he did). These were not exactly buddy dives where he could just turn to someone else for additional bailout.

Back
Top Bottom