Ear problem, Not certified scuba diver yet, lots of questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to have couple of really bad ear infections a year. I found that urgent care clinics or GP Dr.s are not nearly as good as going to a ENT. Sometime I go to the urgent care, because of the timing of the infection. I usually have to go to the ENT and get instant relieve when I do. They are just better equipped for ear problems.

Talked to someone from DAN was told this was barotrauma and a ENT isn't nessisary. Said get rid if infection wait till symptom are gone and try again. She emphasized equalize equalize equalize before I even feel pressure in my ears which I waited till I felt pressure to equalize before so that could have been my problem also she said take sudafed and ibuprofen to help dry the fluid

Yes definitely equalize early and often. Having issues with my ears I equalize just before I descend to pressurize my E-tubes. When you may find is once your E-tubes are under pressure they lock closed so as much as you want to equalize they won't open.

As for not seeing an ENT, that's your choice. If it were me I would go to an ENT as a follow up to have them check the eardrum for a barotrauma as well as make sure you are ready for diving. Going too soon will only make it worse.

This is pretty common with divers so don't feel bad and never try to push through it. If you have a good buddy, they will respect the fact that you need to call off a dive because of your ears. Also go look at the Dive Medicine forum in Underwater Activities. You'll see hundreds of posts (some of them mine! :) )

remember you can practice equalization and clearing techniques on dry land prior to going under pressure...

remember you can practice equalization and clearing techniques on dry land prior to going under pressure...
My instructor said don't practice above land cause I could damage my ears. Is this true?

I went to urgent care he said I have water in middle ears and left ear is infected he gave me antibiotics. He also said this most likely was caused by a sinus congestion, i do have problems from breathing from both nostrils sometimes but no running nose coughing or anything. He recommended netti pot, take antibiotic, sudafed and daily allergy meds. Crazy recommendations for all that at once if you ask me.

As someone with bad allergies, this all sounds normal as far as meds go. During the summer, I'm typically on Zyrtec, 24-hour Sudafed (have to ask the pharmacist for this one), Flonase (morning and night), and, if I still get a sinus infection, antibiotics and irrigation (pro tip: there are spray cans of sterile saline available - I find them much easier to use than a neti pot).

The key for me is to make sure I am completely clear before diving. I'm following my medicine regimen religiously weeks in advance of diving to make sure my sinuses are completely clear and won't give me any trouble on the dive.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2015 at 02:04 PM ----------

Make sure those meds are compatible with diving, before you jump back into the water. Also be careful with the timing with medications like sudafed. I took a similar medication before a dive, the effect ended while I was around at 40m depth, resulting in an reversed sinus squeeze, the pressure escaped after a while on the surface through my nasolacrimal ducts, which was not pleasant.

That's why I stick with the 24 hour versions only. I never want to risk having them wear off at depth.

There is no reason not to practice equalizing your ears on land -- the secret is the same as equalizing underwater, which is not to use too much pressure.

I agree that this sounds like uncomplicated barotrauma, and ought to resolve on its own. Symptoms that would require medical evaluation would be increasing pain, drainage, persistent or worsening hearing loss, or fever.

This is the most common injury in diving students, and occurs because they have so much information overload that they don't equalize until the discomfort becomes really noticeable. The key is prevention, which is equalizing much more often -- preferably before there is any sensation at all, but certainly as soon as the very mildest feeling of pressure is noted.

Relatively new diver here, with some issues clearing my ears. I now take a long-acting decongestant before diving and that's done the trick for me. As a previous poster mentioned, make sure it lasts through your dive - although if your ears are not clogged because of a cold or allergy, then you should still be able to equalize if they wear off.

Everyone has their favorite ear problem. Get the DAN pamphlet on Ears.

Or call the DAN consultation phone number.

Last edited:
If it were me I would not practice until my ears are better just to be on the safe side. No point in rushing through this. But I practice all the time when healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom