Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Advanced in brackets... Regardless my points stand... The first few pages discussed the topic... And tech divers dive recreational gear... A number of tech divers have expressed that they used ai on rec dives but you probably know more than they do about their diving...

If finding relevant on the board is a needle in the haystack for you then so be it... I must have a really strong magnet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You lost me.

First you say, this thread is solely about why "tech types" don't like AI. Then you say that there is general consensus. Then you define the consensus to be among tech types, not tech divers.

Are you sure you understood the question the OP posted? Did you even read the question?

You lost me.

First you say, this thread is solely about why "tech types" don't like AI. Then you say that there is general consensus. Then you define the consensus to be among tech types, not tech divers.

Are you sure you understood the question the OP posted? Did you even read the question?

I was one of the first to respond... And contributed valuable information and discussion... Others could attest to that

You are doing what you accuse sbers of doing... Contributing nothing...

General consensus among of a group not the entire population, but I'm sure you must know that and are simply trolling... If I have lose you then I can see why sb is such a hard place for you... I'm sorry...

Moving on now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both girl friend and I have 700 dives on AI and never a problem. I've also never seen others experience the problems described in this thread- If I did have these problems- I'd be looking for a new AI computer.

No such luck...

---------- Post added August 4th, 2015 at 08:32 PM ----------

One 'global theme' from ScubaBoard discussions is that even experts don't always agree on everything.

If everyone thinks the same thing... someone isn't thinking.

Adobo added to ignore. LOL

Tech diving involves multiple tanks. Unless you put transmitters on every bottle, the only information your AI computer will gather for you is from the tank(s) you have your one transmitter attached to - likely your backgas. It won't tell you how much gas you have in your various tanks, it won't tell you your SAC rate when you are on a stage bottle or on deco. And it certainly won't tell you *air* time remaining on those tanks or dive time remaining. All benefits that AI proponents tout.

For tech divers, AI computers would be of limited value anyway. Why bother getting it if the so called benefits only extend to recreational dives?

I have a wireless AI computer. I have just started Tech training.

I am not planning to install my AI transmitter on my Tech reg set during training, as that is not part of the configuration my instructor has specified. But, I have already completed the classroom portion of the training, so I have some idea of what we are going to be doing and how we're going to do it. And I will be using my AI computer (without the AI portion) during training - using it in Gauge mode.

As I look forward, it SEEMS like I MAY choose to add my AI transmitter into my configuration later. The reasons I think (now) for that would be that it would give me additional monitoring and data collection on my usage of my back gas. The fact that I would not have the same info for my deco gas does not take away from the value of that info for my back gas. Plus, I anticipate that back gas consumption will occur while I'm focusing on other things. Reviewing the data to see what my consumption was during the different parts of a dive seems just as useful after a tech dive as it is to me, now, after a rec dive. OTOH, when I'm using my deco gas, I expect, generally, to be doing nothing but "hanging". So, while finely detailed consumption data might be nice, I don't think I would get as nearly as much benefit from it as I would from back gas consumption data. For deco gas, I will know start time, pressure and depth, and end time, pressure and depth, and I think that will probably be adequate deco gas data to facilitate good future gas management planning.

All that said, I am looking forward to completing the training and getting (hopefully) lots of real world experience with my tech rig and seeing how my current projections of my desire to use AI actually hold up over that time.

I just spent a week on the MV Spree tech diving the artificial reefs here in the Keys on back mount doubles. I used only my AI for checking air: no mechanical SPG attached. It's been years since I dove back mounted doubles, so I had to quickly throw a set together. I used the first stages from my side mount and the short/long hose configuration from my single tank reg. I went ahead and left both transmitters on the first stages. It worked fine... until I tried to check my valves while on the boat. I almost twisted one of the transducers off as it felt like a valve knob. I reconfigured to have both of them pointing in and found that they interfered with grabbing the isolator knob. So, unless I went with a short hose that got them out of the way of the manifold, I would not use AI to dive back mount doubles. Perfect for side mount, less than optimal for back mount, at least with these regs.

I guess I might use a first stage swivel and a short hose to tuck it out of the way - if I was going to utilize AI...

As I look forward, it SEEMS like I MAY choose to add my AI transmitter into my configuration later. The reasons I think (now) for that would be that it would give me additional monitoring and data collection on my usage of my back gas.

I agree with Stuart here.

I personally don't do it, since I love my Petrel and I don't want a transmitter on one of my first stages. However, the one reason that I would consider WAI would be because I'm a data junkie, and it's nice to have an accurate SAC rate. As the tech divers here know, that number is crucial for gas planning.

Yes, you can do the math by recording pressures, average depths and times, but you can get much more accurate data with a WAI computer, especially if you want to track changing SAC rates with different types of dive, with and without a large DSLR, etc..

With most tech training, you calculate this once or twice during training and use that as your SAC rate. Might be good to have a current, accurate number for each dive without having to do that note taking exercise every time.

Back
Top Bottom