Gopro or Rx100...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_Norwegian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I've been diving with my gopro 4 and 2off sola 1200's for a while now, and I really enjoy the post dive "work" of video editing. So I'm now considering moving it one step further and get something that could give me some better quality video's. I live in Norway, so most of my dives are in dark and murky water with max 5-8meter viz. So getting something that can handle "darkness" is important. My question is simply, will the rx100 be a step up? Will it give better video Quality? And if so, which rx100 mk should I get? Is mk 2 better than 3 for video? Or are there any other good options for shooting video that doesn't involve selling the dog and wife?

All feedback is appreciated...

Sent fra min D5803 via Tapatalk

are there any other good options for shooting video that doesn't involve selling the dog and wife?

All feedback is appreciated...

Sent fra min D5803 via Tapatalk

It depends on the dog :D j/k

What aspect of your videos would you like to improve?
I really think the Hero 4 does a significantly better job than the earlier Hero HD cameras when it comes to handling light and high contrast areas. So your problem may not be the camera. If it's just dark, but clear waters maybe all you need is better lights.

I don't know if the 1200s have a flood setting and in flood they may not be able to cut through enough in your waters. I shoot with solas 2000s/f always in flood, but I'm usually in very clear waters.

I have a RX100 mark I and Gopro Hero 4 black and I found RX100 better in low light performance but footage from Gopro Hero 4 has higher resolution when there is enough light. A pair of Sola 1200 should be enough for murky water just to make sure that you point them at an angle outward to mitigate backscatters. I read the blog of interceptor121, comparing RX100 mark 2 to mark 3 which you may find it useful Sony RX100 Mark III

Yeah, but it's about the appropriate order of magnitude. Rough prices here, and there are certainly lots of options, but Gopro +lights/filters = $1000, RX100 + strobes/lights/ports = $5k, Panasonic GH4 + lights/strobes/ports = $10k, Mark5DIII + strobes/lights/ports =$15k.

Someone else will have to do the conversion into dogs....

I'm pretty close to doing all I can with the gopro after about 100 photo/video dives with it and looking to upgrade. Will probably move up to a RX100 and be quite content for a long while.

Well, I might get a few nauticam gaskets for the dog, the wife however...

Anyways, to rephrase my question ot thoughts, is there any compact camera that can give better video quality in dark waters than the gopro 4. I only shot in 720 or 1080, medium fow with the gopro. Some buddys have slrs that shot, in my mind, great video, so I'm curious if a compact would be one step up from the gopro. I see Inteseptor gives the Panasonic GX7 good reviews, but it's fairly expencive...but I don't mind buying second hand...

There is one video on YouTube comparing the rx100 and Gopro, and in my mind the Rx gives more natural colors...

More thoughts?

I'm on the fence between compacts and GoPro. I started with a GoPro hero 3. I then wanted to step up so I went to a compact, LX7 and Nauticam housing. I wanted to do macro and it certainly was far better than the GoPro at that.

I then started thinking about 4K. I've shot 4K on land it is far sharper than 1080.

Now I'm starting to question whether I want to continue the cat and mouse race of camera upgrading. Even though they are called compacts, when all is said and done they are considerable larger than a GoPro setup IMO. Also, costs are pretty steep for a hobbyist like myself.
So now with the intro of the 4K GoPro I've been considering back pedaling. Swapping a GoPro with each new gen is a lot lighter on the pocket and much easier to pack for trips, not to mention easier handling.

I will lose macro which is a big one for me. Low light not much of an issue since I only dive clear waters.

I like the RX100 IV but I think it falls short for macro since the focal length is a bit weak. A swap to the RX100IV would mean about $2k (camera, housing) not counting lenses.

I'n the end I'm still not sure what I'll do.

Made any progress?
I'm facing a similar dilemna, weighing out a Sony RX 100 M2 with a GoPro Hero4 Black...
The Sony seems like a much better choice, but I'm still not 100% convinced by the colors/white balance on the footage I've seen so far, and this weighs in for the Go Pro's cheaper price. I could stick it on top of my current housing for instance and make do with that for a year or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom