SOS and dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCNKY

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I keep reading if a person remains above 3ft in depth for a certain amount of time without doing a decompression, the dive computer will lock into SOS. This appears somewhat confusing. Please explain?

I've never heard such a thing. Where do you "keep reading" thus?

At 3ft my computer assumes I'm out of the water.

It is listed in the owners manual for the XP10 dive computer

is this what you're reading?

---
If the diver remains above a depth of 0.8m (3ft) for more than three minutes without observing a prescribed decompression stop, the computer will automatically switch into SOS mode after the dive.
Push to see the "SOS" sign and the remaining length of the SOS mode. The dive will be entered in the logbook with "SOS".
The SOS mode will be unlocked after 24 hours.
While in SOS mode, the computer cannot be used for diving.
---

is this what you're reading?

---
If the diver remains above a depth of 0.8m (3ft) for more than three minutes without observing a prescribed decompression stop, the computer will automatically switch into SOS mode after the dive.
Push to see the "SOS" sign and the remaining length of the SOS mode. The dive will be entered in the logbook with "SOS".
The SOS mode will be unlocked after 24 hours.
While in SOS mode, the computer cannot be used for diving.
---

Wow, that is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

It's just saying if you remain above 3 ft. for more than 3 min. while owing a decompression obligation, it figures you blew the stop and it locks you out. Not sure about the 3 min. part, but the lockout is fairly standard for rec computers, isn't it?

Yes, trying to stop someone who missed stops diving again that day. How stupid is that?

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 06:21 AM ----------

I keep reading if a person remains above 3ft in depth for a certain amount of time without doing a decompression, the dive computer will lock into SOS. This appears somewhat confusing. Please explain?

You understand this is only if they have not dare required, proper stops. Not safety stops or anything optional but ones which are deeded necessary by whatever algorithm employed by the computer.

This does not mean it locks every time you surface.

I assumed when I first read this that it locked up if you remained at 3' for 3 minutes without a safety stop... I see now that it's a decompression stop... you probably aren't making dives that have a decompression obligation anyway (at least I hope not with 0-24 dive in your log assuming your stats are up to date!) . I'm Pretty sure if you stay within the whatever your computer's algorithm deems as a no decompression dive it won't lock up if you just miss a safety stop. :)

kudos for reading the manual.

many if not most divecomputers lock up for 24 to 48 hours after a deco obligation was violated

seems the manufactorers think someone who busts the deco shedule or goes into deco unintentionally without staying the required time to clear the tissues is better kept out of the water for a period

Reactions: RJP

Wow, that is one of the most ironic things I've ever read.

:D

OP - Your first post wasn't clear that you mean AFTER a dive and that by "without doing a decompression" you meant "without doing a prescribed decompression stop." As others have mentioned above, blowing off a mandatory decompression stop - which is different than a recommended safety stop - is not something to be taken lightly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom