Shoulder Inflator tearing away from wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supergaijin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have had my Travel Wing for approx 18 months now and I have maybe 300 dives on it. The shoulder inflator is tearing through the wing shell and it's obviously not long for this world. Has this problem been seen before and is there a fix? I was hoping to get my lady the same wing as the size is perfect for us in the tropics but... what went wrong with this one?

Regards, Harv
20150731-IMG_6536.jpg20150731-IMG_6546.jpg20150731-IMG_6547.jpg

Will do Jared. Thanks for the prompt reply
harv

I have a very similar tear on my Halcyon wing.. guess it's just a stress point that eventually will tear.

do you often to use pull dump on corrugated hose?

Interesting... I wondering if pull dump might cause this... I use it quite often

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting... I wondering if pull dump might cause this... I use it quite often

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will certainly put stress on that section.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2015 at 11:43 PM ----------

But would have thought that section would be beefed up to account for the added stress. Maybe not. Might see a revision in the not too distant...

It's for reasons like this that I opted for the simple elbow connection on my Dive Rite wing instead of a pull dump style.
I just don't like the idea of pulling on the corrugated hose to dump air and the LPI and butt dump are all I need anyway. - KISS principle.

Good response from Jared though.

I'm wondering if you're pulling on the connection point when you raise the inflator to dump air. Maybe you'd be better off with a longer inflator hose.

Looking at the tear, it definitely seems like pull dump related. There is a metal cable inside the corrugated hose to operate the pull dump. One the cable is fully stretch (when dump open), it puls directe stress on that spot.

contrary to the without pull dump setup, the inflator has no direct force on the shoulder. The corrugated hose act like a spring. You can pull on it quite a bit before putting any stress on that spot.

---------- Post added August 10th, 2015 at 09:32 AM ----------

I'm wondering if you're pulling on the connection point when you raise the inflator to dump air. Maybe you'd be better off with a longer inflator hose.

If there is no pull dump, there isn't a reason to pull on the inflator. Dumping air does not required pulling the hose with this method. If the use of pull dump is intended, then you still pull same amount, exert the same stress regardless the length of the hose.

Back
Top Bottom