DUI Weight Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BAMA6977

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any suggestions on using wearing weight harness with dry suit and BPW? Have not dove with it yet just trying to get the fit down. Right now having trouble with harness interfering with waist strap on BPW. How low/high do you wear the harness. Thanks

I've had several experiences with the weight harness and bpw. The worst being having to cut one loose during a serious rescue. They were irritating before that and after that incident I've looked to find alternatives for my students.

So, although this doesn't assist you much in using your harness (which is a very long trial and mostly error situation). I'd say dependant on your weight requirements, get as much weight distributed around your gear and try for no more that 10 lbs in the harness.

This makes it easier to fit and operate in an emergency. Try ditching it with 20-30 lbs (which is frustrating and dangerous) and you'll see why. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had several experiences with the weight harness and bpw. The worst being having to cut one loose during a serious rescue. They were irritating before that and after that incident I've looked to find alternatives for my students.

So, although this doesn't assist you much in using your harness (which is a very long trial and mostly error situation). I'd say dependant on your weight requirements, get as much weight distributed around your gear and try for no more that 10 lbs in the harness.

This makes it easier to fit and operate in an emergency. Try ditching it with 20-30 lbs (which is frustrating and dangerous) and you'll see why. Best of luck.

I've been using DUI WnT for years. Never for drills though. Only use a weightbelt with students. I don't have any problem releasing the weights personally with or without a drysuit...but it's a MAJOR pain in the ass re-threading the weight pouches afterwards.

Which weight harness are you using?

Many of my students used to wear the DUI Harness.......that was 15 years ago, because of the issues, I don't allow it except for exceptional circumstances. So much easier without it.

I love my W/T Harness. I dive dry and carry 30 lbs in the harness with out any problems. The threading gets easier but I don't drop the weights as a routine. I would drop only in an emergency. To drop weight you pull on the side handle, hang on to it until you know you are needing the drop weights. If on the surface already dropping both side is easy just act like you are doing a quick pistol draw and hook both handles with your thumbs and drive them forward. I wear my harness about the top of my hip bone and just under my waist strap. NO issues at all.
Herb

I've been using the DUI Weight harness about 15 years with a dry suit and a variety of different BPWs. Lately, using an OMS IQ backpack w/Aluminum plate mounted internal & STA . The weights sit at my waist on the sides, and the harness closes slightly below my belly button. Maybe it took a little experimenting to get to where it is, but it's pretty darn comfortable these days.

I have 8 lbs of shot in each side of the harness, add a few pounds for the STA and Aluminum backplate, and I use a steel PST120. My Al80's have a 4 lb lead weight in the boot so I don't have to change my weighting when I switch between tanks.

I don't see how the harness would interfere with the BPW waist band. The harness uses a buckle with snaps, and your waist band should be a quick release where you just lift it. Can't you just adjust the weight harness buckle slightly to the left to keep it out of the way?

Any suggestions on using wearing weight harness with dry suit and BPW? Have not dove with it yet just trying to get the fit down. Right now having trouble with harness interfering with waist strap on BPW. How low/high do you wear the harness. Thanks

The big advantage is that you can wear your lead below your natural hips and do so safely, try that with a belt! If you already have a plate and steel cylinder on your upper torso the lower weights can be very helpful in keeping floaty legs in check. This will keep the harness waist strap and weight pockets in a place of their own making for zero interference. If you need to have weight atop for trim so be it but I prefer the bulk to be in the harness so my rig does not become a heavy pig of a thing. If you are not dressed for cold water the lines begin to blur since you only have so much weight to be concerned with.

I would not base my diving configuration on the experience in an instruction setting where personal configurations are often questionable at best. No discredit to the instructors that commented, it's just not my idea of the best metric.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom