Need a gear listing for a newb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought my first wetsuit, reg set, BCD and computer new. Now I realize that really wasn't necessary, and I have bought mostly used stuff for years now. If you can actually see and even try the gear first, it certainly isn't necessary. Lots of people with fairly deep pockets buy scuba gear and then either decide they need tech gear (and then always newer/different/more tech gear...) or decide a year or two later that they have done the scuba thing and they could just as well sell their gear. I love the fact the most people live with too little storage space, it does wonders for prices. Lots of people want gear sold and will price nice stuff to sell in a couple hours or less -so keep your eyes open and you can save a lot of money.

I'll disagree with the recommendation to get the cheapest snorkel you can find. I use my snorkel, regularly, to save gas when swimming at the surface, and for watching other divers descend or ascend to the flag. I like a comfortable, dry snorkel, and cheap snorkels are not dry. Also, snorkeling is a good way to burn off nitrogen, between dives. You gotta do something during your surface intervals, and you can't drink tequila, right?
With all due respect, any snorkel will allow you to do this, whether or not it is a "dry" snorkel. You pretty much have to go out of your way to find a "non-dry" snorkel these days anyway. Either way, it shouldn't cost more than $5 or $10.

I guess you missed it. He inhaled chunks of vomit.

Yes. I expect he's one. Out of how many people you've seen using rental regs? So the OP will rush to drop several hundred bucks on an octopus without even getting certified first?

I'm sure it sucked but I strongly suspect it's a pretty rare occurrence: either the shop doesn't maintain their gear properly and is out of business by now or it does and this was the one in umpteen hundred 's*it happens' event, like if you flip enough coins in the air one of them is bound to land on its edge.

Yes. I expect he's one. Out of how many people you've seen using rental regs? So the OP will rush to drop several hundred bucks on an octopus without even getting certified first?

I'm sure it sucked but I strongly suspect it's a pretty rare occurrence: either the shop doesn't maintain their gear properly and is out of business by now or it does and this was the one in umpteen hundred 's*it happens' event, like if you flip enough coins in the air one of them is bound to land on its edge.

It was meant as a bit of joke. I did suggest also borrowing. Of course, what percentage of scuba divers are there? There are plenty of stories of people feeding the fish through their regs.

Personally, I'd recommend buying against used and taking it with him, unless he has a chance to try it out in a pool at least. It would be a shame to have issues with a reg when taking the course. And of course making sure that it has been serviced within a year.

Last edited:
It was meant as a bit of joke. I did suggest also borrowing. Of course, what percentage of scuba divers are there? There are plenty of stories of people feeding the fish through their regs.

Yep. There was one on a boat next to me this spring. And if I inhaled that I'd probably puked my guts out, then went back to the shop and complained very loudly. However, assuming we're dealing with adult sentient beings here (unwarranted I know),
  • the guy who did it didn't want to breathe in his own vomit either. He'd've left the reg soaking in a tub overnight and blown it thoroughly the next morning. He didn't so it must have been his last dive there.
  • He didn't tell the shop they may wanna clean this reg extra-thoroughly when he returned it. Possibly afraid they'd charge him extra.
  • The shop must have had a busy morning if they grabbed a reg from "not yet cleaned" pile and gave it to the customer.
  • Edit: oh, yeah, and that stuff must've gotten caked in by then since didn't get blown out when your friend pressed the purge a couple of times after hooking it all up.
So there must have been a series of unfortunate events to make the next user inhale chunks of stale vomit.

---------- Post added August 11th, 2015 at 12:26 PM ----------

With all due respect, any snorkel will allow you to do this, whether or not it is a "dry" snorkel. You pretty much have to go out of your way to find a "non-dry" snorkel these days anyway. Either way, it shouldn't cost more than $5 or $10.
"Collapsible" ones tend to be $15+, the advantage is you can unclip it and put in the pocket on the way down. Whichever kind you pick, you do want the flexible bit in the middle.

Last edited:
For me, it broke out like this (in priority order of what to get first)
1. Mask, fins, snorkel, gloves and boots if needed - most classes require you to have your own and may not even rent them

2. Dive computer - these are all different and things can be confusing enough without having a different computer to figure out all the time. To me, this is a basic safety issue.

3. Safety accessories - a basic set would be a line cutter or knife, signaling device, SMB, reel, etc.

4. Wetsuit- to me it was always a pain to get a rental that fit me good ( yes, I need to lose weight). Real pain to dive with a poorly fitting wetsuit and an uncomfortable diver is usually a distracted diver. If the rentals at your shop fit you well, you can swap it a 3 and 4.

4. Reg and BCD - nice to know how these have been taken care of and become familiar with / tweak to make your own (safe second/Octo setup you like, etc.). To me, being very familiar with these is a safety item.

5. Lights

6. Tanks and weights - I put these last because they are easy to rent and may already be provided on dive boats. Even if you own your own, you have to go to the shop to get a fill any way.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Whistle, Smb, compass, mask, fins, gloves & booties if needed
2. Regulator
3. Wetsuit
4. BC
5. Computer
6. A different wetsuit, BC, and regulator
7. Different fins
8. A mask that fits better
9. Weights and tank
10. Nautilus LifeLine

I was there back in 08'

A bunch of guys got certified over there,.. A few actually still dive today. I would say buy fins (with booties if needed) a good snorkel that fits your face (and does not pull on your mask when you move your head) and a mask that fits well. There are plenty of shops around so try different masks. Rent everything else until you figure out what you like, or even if you'll keep diving once you are back Stateside.

It took me forever to find a mask I did not have to clears every two minutes. Eventually I got ahold of an Aqualung Impression and now I am using an Omer Alien mask. Google should bring up plenty of videos of how to select a proper mask. My snorkel is a semi dry and it made a difference when I was on the surface of the St. Lawrence river. (Diving there was the best part of being at Drum's WTU) I spent a little extra and got some open heel split fins and I still use them. I did upgrade to spring straps for it recently and they are working nice.

Not sure what your schedule is like but if you can't get off SC then you could at least snorkel around the beach there. I always swam around and looked at the reef after our CWS classes, it would have been nice to have a snorkel set up to do that.

On on a more personal note, if they still serve Ak47's at the Hungarian bar please drink a ****ton of them for me and my buddies. We miss that place! If you are going to be there for a bit and need anything from this side of the world shoot me a message on here and I'll see about making it happen.

When I took my first class, they provided everything except the mask, fins and snorkel. The wetsuit was pretty well worn, so it didn't have much buoyancy change with depth, which made things a bit easier.

Having been to Sharm "a few" times I'll say that the dive shops there rent pretty much anything you need for any type of diving, so when they say "all equipment" they likely mean just that. They have masks, snorkels and fins piled up for snorkling trips, which most of them also arrange for non-divers (NOT on the same boat as divers).
That being said, I would still get my own mask, snorkel and fins as you could make use of that yourself even without the rest of the scuba gear.
As far as wetsuit goes - you can find them cheap as chips if you go have a look at the dive shops (not dive centers, but shops) there, i.e. maison de la mer or beyond limits. You might however not need anything but a rash guard down there, depending on how close to "winter" you'll be before finishing your class.
So in short, get your mask as it need to fit right, snorkel and fins. The rest can wait and will probably be better off waiting as you might wanna learn what you want before trusting a salesperson...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom