Advice please ladies.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Im almost finished my divemaster certification part of which is assisting with DSD dives in the pool and Open water students.
The location is tropical so a lot of the time the dress code is bikini or a one piece swimsuit.
the gear we use is a standard BCD -one strap over the chest -buckle in the middle. Then the normal strap and buckle on the hips.
Please don't laugh but Im well aware Im handling these ladies boobs and other parts whilst buckling up and adjusting the BCD for them. is this just "Mehh don't sweat it" or should I demo the strap bit and have them do it up themselves ?

I talk them thru it. If the chest buckles are not trapped under the shoulder straps i hold those out to hand off for them to clip themselves. If the shoulder strap needs cinching i step to the side and pull down from the sides, not the front. Rarely is there a person who cant do up the straps on a bcd.

I agree. Talk them through it, you'll avoid making someone uncomfortable or having your intentions mis-understood...plus the student will be better prepared to handle thier own gear.

I have had a guide try to buckle that for me...and I didn't like it. It was very awkward, probably because I am quite capable of doing it myself. I would talk the student through it. If I need help with something (drysuit zipper etc.) I will ask for help or make it very obvious that help would be appreciated. If they just don't get it or see them, then hold them out for them to grab.

Personally I wouldn't sweat it that much.
I think once people get the hang of their gear your hands are not needed and if I need a hand I will let you know. If female divers start attacking you underwater with a muck stick, you know you went too far. ��

Last edited:
I agree, demo and let them do it. Never had a need to do up someones chest strap.

Might also be worth mentioning to the bikini-clad that they should be considering some other form of exposure protection, not just for thermal protection, but from the environment as well. Especially with new OW divers, often their lack of buoyancy skills could lead to some unpleasant interactions with various stinging ocean inhabitants.

I advise all divers to wear a t shirt or rash guard when possible. With females I never touch the chest strap. It's not necessary. Demo it and allow them to do it. If participants, male or female, can't seem to grasp the concept of doing it you probably don't want them in the water on scuba.

Thanks folks- Its more DSD divers in the pool to be honest.Once we are off to sea then they have a 5.00mm shorty

Speaking as a girl, if I were wearing just a bikini and it would make my instructor/DM uncomfortable because they're supposed to touch me near there, I wouldn't mind them telling me what to do so I can do it myself. Just explain to them that you find it disrespectful to touch them near there so if they could clip up themselves! :)

Back
Top Bottom