Opinions on used gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnbone

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all. I'm new to the forums and new to diving. I've been looking at all the gear that is available, like a fat kid in a candy store. My question - what are your opinions on used gear - regs, bc etc......

I've seen some used higher end gear, a scubapro reg in this case, that is listed as being bench tested by a regulator technician and is being sold at a great price.

Just want to know what the general take is on used gear.

Thanks

Used gear is most often fine. A lot of people buy a lot of stuff new in their enthusiasm while after a 20-50 dives they call it quits. I buy a lot of stuff used too, but regs are regs are always a bit of a problem as you'd most probably want to have it serviced. So that makes it hardly worth it the money you save on buying a new one.

The biggest problem as a new diver is knowing what you want/need, not the quality of the stuff. Beware of second hand dry suits though. I strongly advise to buy those new or take somebody who has sufficient knowledge with you.

Second hand dry suits also have the problem that if the boots are attached, they have to be the right size.
It's annoying when someone tell's you they're fine and then while fitting the shoes are too small. It happened to me, I drove 40 miles for nothing...

The item in question is a Scubapro Mk25/A700, 3 gauge console boot with Uwtec Pressure Gauge and hose and Uwtec Compass and LPI hose for $500. The first and second stage alone go for over $800.

Seems like a good deal... But have a good scuba pro mech on hand to do a once over on it

I do not know about prices in the USA, but I looked it up, in the Netherlands you get this MK25/A700 for $594. It all depends on how many dives have been made with it. If it's almost new and used little it sounds as a good price if it is so expensive out there. But it is a tech reg, top of the line. For almost all recreational diving a MK25G260 which sells for €436 or $ around 480 here would do just fine.
You also need to get an octopus, that was not included?

Different exchange rate = different prices. It comes with a Tusa Octo. I checked out the picture of it and it looks to be in good shape. If I knew how to upload a pic on here I would.

bench tested by a regulator technician
The gauges are about $300 more at retail so the only issue I see is finding a shop that services Scubapro and Tusa at your next service interval. Which on that reg could be awhile since you have no warranty obligations to maintain. So 2 years/100 dives from now. (or longer)

Not a bad deal for the money. I'm of the opinion that gear is worth 50% of what the original owner paid once it's used so I would use that as my guideline.

Last edited:
Factor in 100 - 150 for service -- one should ALWAYS have a used regulator serviced. Assuming the regulator is working at all prior, it should be repairable even if there are some minor problems. But used regs have to be a good deal to overcome the additional cost for the service.

Also realize that hoses have a lifespan, so if these are old, you might end up replacing them soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom