Logging dives -- need a new recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another happy Subsurface user here.

Windows, Mac or Linux versions available, so as long as your dive computer is able to be downloaded by 'libdivecomputer' you can download your dive data.
It can also import many existing logbook formats from pc (or indirectly via divelogs.de)
Store the logbook file in a dropbox folder to have a backup in case of a drive failure or in order to access the one logbook file from more than one machine.
The log can be uploaded to divelogs.de for a web based copy of your dive log - can be useful if an operator wants to check your dive history prior to booking you on a charter boat for example.
The developers are receptive to bug reports and to sensible feature requests via their website and bugtracker.

This program has been rapidly advancing and is now a real candidate compared to commercial offerings.
The only thing really lacking is Android or Iphone versions - though exporting to PDF or uploading to divelogs.de work around much of that.

Another happy Subsurface user old Linux tester. Those dive logs in pdf files are easy to generate and carry on cell phone or laptop. Personally I like the historical data it provides like SAC rate and dive depths.

I use Suunto DM5. Works well, though obviously aimed at my Suunto DC. It lets me print out a page for each dive, including depth profiles and any info that I type into it. I then staple those into my dive log that I take with me. As a new diver, I expect that some DMs and operations will want to see my log, and this seems to be the easiest way to show that I have the dives I claim.

I'll investigate subsurface, though. Am I safe in assuming that it will talk to Suunto computers?

Paper log here. I just like the feel of paper and pen. Old school.

I created a custom design and had Office Depot print a stack of pages--same size as the commercial pages I had been using, same 3-hole binder holes. It's surprisingly inexpensive. You can include all the information you want and omit all the stuff you don't want.

I use smart track and dl my dives from my pdc. I also print them and place them in a folder in my safe just because I like the paper backups.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

Excel spreadsheet. Portable, easy, and every device has free apps that will read it.

In the header area I have little formulas to count certain types of dives (nitrox, drysuit, altitude, etc), min/max for every category, whatever pleases me. Very versatile.

I can send you a template if you'd like.

I use Suunto DM5. Works well, though obviously aimed at my Suunto DC. It lets me print out a page for each dive, including depth profiles and any info that I type into it. I then staple those into my dive log that I take with me. As a new diver, I expect that some DMs and operations will want to see my log, and this seems to be the easiest way to show that I have the dives I claim.

I'll investigate subsurface, though. Am I safe in assuming that it will talk to Suunto computers?

+1 for Subsurface. I've used it with a Mosquito. Vytec and Vyper Air. No problems

Diving Log 5.0. Easy import, and you can search the log on various fields.

Downloaded Subsurface. Will see how it goes! Thanks for all the replies! Nice to see that some people just use composition books too.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2015 at 04:26 PM ----------

I downloaded DM5 as well. I've got the files downloaded from my Vyper Air and showing up in DM5. I want to import those files into Subsurface. Do you know where the files are stored on your computer? Which folder? I've searched *.sde for my entire C: drive, but I come up with nothing. I have absolutely no idea where to find the files. I feel like a caveman seeing a computer for the first time thanks to Windows 8.1 & DM5's lack of ... transparency(?). Very, very frustrating.

I am a Linux user so I my options are limited. I use Subsurface to download from my computer and write all my notes on the dive. I also record the GPS coordinates and all of that fun stuff. At home I will print out each dive which goes into a separate binder. Everything is also exported to PDF and stored in the cloud. The PDF's are per trip.

I used to make my own paper logs which had exactly what I wanted, in my preferred layout, and my preferred size. However I once I got a computer that I could download dives from I stopped doing that.

G

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2015 at 08:26 AM ----------

Works like a charm with my D9

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom