NACD By-Law Committee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So GDI violated #4 by posting this thread?

4. I agree not to use any public or private forum, boards, blogs or social media to discuss or relay issues related to the business or occurrences of the NACD.

Does this committee have to sign a NDA? While you state that the BOD will be at arms length, if the committee and BOD ever butt heads, you can essentially throw a lawsuit at anyone who speaks out to the membership about a disagreement.

4. I agree not to use any public or private forum, boards, blogs or social media to discuss or relay issues related to the business or occurrences of the NACD.

The NACD only selectively enforces this nondisclosure agreement as well as their by-laws. As long as you are in good graces with the good old boys you can do what you want. If they decide you are no longer a member of their little clique then you will get the 'govern yourself accordingly letter" and be threatened with a lawsuit. They had a bylaws committe before and maybe Rick can tell us why non of their recommendations were not put into the bylaws. In my opinion this is just an act by the BoD to make the uniformed think they are changing. Just look at the poll on CDF, not one person wants to work with this BoD.

You mean this para:

4. I agree not to use any public or private forum, boards, blogs or social media to discuss or relay issues related to the business or occurrences of the NACD. All external communication will be approved by the NACD BOD and communicated by the President or his/her designate. Internal BOD and committee chairman communication shall remain private among the BOD and committee chairman."

Your para doesn't seem to be complete and may cause others to think it is.

---------- Post added August 18th, 2015 at 07:59 AM ----------

Does this committee have to sign a NDA? While you state that the BOD will be at arms length, if the committee and BOD ever butt heads, you can essentially throw a lawsuit at anyone who speaks out to the membership about a disagreement.

I think the arms length is important. I have taken this issue to the BoD, I'll get back to you

Rick, this is also key:

All external communication will be approved by the NACD BOD and communicated by the President or his/her designate.

When you control communications, you control all. That means dissenting opinions and new ideas are easily squashed, or they are stonewalled until people quit in disgust. This NDA is untenable and no lawyer worth their salt would support it.

Members - and used-to-be members - want(ed) transparency and input to the organization, but at every turn have been stymied. The NDA is just another tool to make people shut up and go to their corner and color. Or quit, and put their time and resources into other organizations.

By-Laws are NOT freaking rocket science!! There exist thousands of well-run organizations with good by-laws. NACD's "not invented here" syndrome is inefficient, ineffective, and wasteful.

...............just when you thought the NACD is finally done and we have good riddance!

And yet, it is a requirement that the Board's attorney be present at any meeting by the By-Law committee.

So you missed this point:

The By-law committee are being asked to review and comment on all NACD By-laws making recommendations of any needed amendments, additions or deletions. The By-law committee shall pay close attention to NACD organizational structure, BoD requirements,Compliance to Federal, State and IRS laws as to maintain the 501(c) status. Additionally where applicable to consider the by-laws as suitable to meet an international membership. By-laws having recommendations for amendment, addition or deletion must state the reason for such amendment, addition or deletion.

I see them; The lawyers as not part of the committee but as advisers to the committee, working with the by-law committee as a resource.
Tell us why this is an issue?
Also maybe you could explain why seeking international opinion is also an issue?

I think going international tells non-Florida members they have a say in the agency and moves away from what is the Florida centric but systemic ol'boys club

Do away with the NDA. Keep the lawyer out of the meetings, she can review any recommendations prior to them going to the BoD. Why would she need to be involved in the meetings? While we are at it limit the number of instructors on the BoD to a minority #. The NACD will never grow as a training agency. They have been surpassed by numerous others plus the current BoD is against sidemount and rebreather training which is where the future is at.

Rick, this is also key:

When you control communications, you control all. That means dissenting opinions and new ideas are easily squashed, or they are stonewalled until people quit in disgust. This NDA is untenable and no lawyer worth their salt would support it.

Members - and used-to-be members - want(ed) transparency and input to the organization, but at every turn have been stymied. The NDA is just another tool to make people shut up and go to their corner and color. Or quit, and put their time and resources into other organizations.

By-Laws are NOT freaking rocket science!! There exist thousands of well-run organizations with good by-laws. NACD's "not invented here" syndrome is inefficient, ineffective, and wasteful.

You didn't get your cookie yet did you?

I want and must have total control!

Seriously though I have to be open to new ideas, things change. Some items are generic and will likely remain. Other items are in need of updating. I acknowledge this fact.

---------- Post added August 18th, 2015 at 05:40 PM ----------

Do away with the NDA. Keep the lawyer out of the meetings, she can review any recommendations prior to them going to the BoD. Why would she need to be involved in the meetings? While we are at it limit the number of instructors on the BoD to a minority #. The NACD will never grow as a training agency. They have been surpassed by numerous others plus the current BoD is against sidemount and rebreather training which is where the future is at.

All above the highlighted "bold" is noted. However where are you getting that the NACD is against Sidemount and Rebreather training?

From the NACD News Release and note who receives credit here:

"During his time Rob has worked reviewing the NACDtraining standards, developed a sidemount program and initiated a pilot Rebreather Program.These programs will continue."

Since I myself instruct sidemount and looking to build RB time for instruction AND this initiate of the by-law committee is not the only one on going. I would have to say your statement is false.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom