French Polynesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

or not change on you two or three times after booking. does happen on the inter island flights

Speaking of those inter island flights, they are interesting. Like said, they don't necessarily go direct to the island you want without returning you first to Tahiti, you fly back to Tahiti, walk off the plane get your luggage and walk around the corner at the end of the room and go back through security and walk 20 feet from where you got off to get back on the same plane you just got off of.

Also interestingly locals get preference for boarding, they all get to line up first and get on board 1st and it's all open seating no assigned seats so you'll get whats left

one of the first places I ever saw people on a plane with no shoes

and not to be mean as I'm sure it's a cultural thing, but you'll probably get a stinky whiff here and there of B.O. so just warning you now

I'm laughing at the image, but it's true, however PF is very civilized compared to some of the more remote island groups. Those planes can REALLY take your breath away, also many of the island groups (like Tonga) will make you stay seated while they spray the plane interior with mosquito spray. Made me wish I had carried my Spare Air on board. Still we do dive for the adventure, flying with Chickens in the cabin and luggage consisting of handwoven baskets or plastic lawn & leaf bags is all part of that program.

As Wingy says look into the Air Tahiti (not Nui) passes. https://www.airtahiti.com/multiisland-fares. Also at the counter when checking in PPT produce a C-card and get extra free baggage allowance for you and companions. FYI they do have a good secure bag holding area in PPT so it's possible to leave some of your baggage there if you won't need it on the out islands or your local hotel. Do change currency at the airport, it is hard to work with USDs in PF, there were good atms at the airport.

If you like hard liquor bring it most every brand is $60+ liter. You can bring 2 liters/pp duty free. Only French wines are reasonable in that they cost about the same as in the US.

Yes correct - Air Tahiti airpasses..and make sure your insurance agent knows there are TWO airlines operating in FP.

Mike wait til you get on a plane in PNG where clothing is optional and nursing piglets are allowed........thats out there.

I'll be in Bora Bora next week, diving with Bora Diving Center.
Sorry that I'll not have the time to hit the other islands, but hope to enjoy
Bora Bora while visiting.
Seems that some here believe it's good diving and other not so much!
Guess I'll be finding out for myself in a few days.
Thanks all for the information.

Bora Bora can be fun, there will be a nice reef pretty coral, etc, but it is not the tuamotus. However, the lagoon water and beauty of it should compensate to a certain degree.

The Air Tahiti air pass is a must, and if you go first to Rangiroa, then Fakarava, you should not have to return to papeete, Tahiti, mid vacation. To get around the local issue, just stand up in line as soon as you see the plane coming in. You will hear it/see it, so go line up.

The locals will go ahead, mostly, and the French with their teen agers who need to 'board early with kids' but you'll be better off. We usually get decent seating which you want as you can watch the atolls during flight, you'll fly over a couple from Rangiroa to Fakarava, very pretty, and also watch Rangiroa as you leave, and Fakarava as you approach.

The coral in Fakara was incredibly vibrant, and that is the only place I"m willing to go with Top Dive. No shark feeding. I have to say that Top Dive Fakarava was very professional, safe and surprisingly (shockingly) good. Like I said, we avoid Top Dive when we can, but we couldn't here. We were very pleased and surprised how nice it was.

Actually, the only place I've seen shark feeding while diving was Tikehau, but that dive shop is no longer in operation.

However, wouldn't surprise me about Top Dive, and we avoid them like the plague if we can, on Tikehau and Rangiroa and any island we may go to. We prefer the atolls, of course, and Rangiroa is magical.

Tevahine Dream ( a pension) on Rangiroa is incredible, with an owner who makes the tiny pension heavenly, and we have our own dive shop we love. Anyone wanting to know can PM me, but it's usually me, my husband and he and his wife or another person, dive master, so it's basically generally private diving. He's been there for 30 years, and I"d dive with no other. We stayed previously at a resort, kia Ora, and we really did not like it. Very cold feeling.

On Fakarava, if you stay in the NOrth pass area, you can have electricity in your bungalow, south pass no. We stayed North. Diving was fantastic, saw a tiger shark VERY close, and many other sharks, no dolphin on Fakarava but MANY dolphin on Rangiroa, a nursing baby only maybe a week old. We stayed at Havaiki.

Usually see Manta even in the off season, and this time, mating white tips.

I love french polynesia, and especially the atolls but the islands are beautiful and definitely have their charms as well. It's a magical place. I hope you love it as we do.

I guess people have different experiences with Topdive. They were very professional and courteous on both Rangiroa and Fakarava. Feeding the sharks?? Are you freaking kidding?? No need! I specifically chose those two atolls for the shark diving and was not disappointed. Niko, Audrey, Claudio and Sissou ran a great op in Rangiroa. David, Manu, Mathieu, and Maude were outstanding and knowledgeable guides in both North and South passes. Don't miss an opportunity to dive Shark Wall. Also, take a day in Rangiroa to visit the Blue Lagoon. If you like black tips you'll love this little piece of paradise.

[video=youtube_share;gacgYijgH78]http://youtu.be/gacgYijgH78[/video]

Discover Shark diving they dont even try and hide the fact they are baiting.

Yep, in Tahiti and Moorea.

I've never seen it on the atolls, other than the one shop no longer operational, that was in Tikehau. Not to say they don't, but the sharks are all around, it doesn't make sense to.

I don't like it anywhere, but know it happens and use to happen more.

I only dove Moorea when I was there back in 2001, but there was no feeding of sharks by the dive op I went with. I was thrilled to see so many sharks at once without a single piece of chum in the water.. just wish I was traveling with an underwater video rig that time.

Sorry to revive my old thread. It seems that a liveaboard is going to start operating in the Tuamotus (Master Liveaboards » French Polynesia) in 2016 with a 10-day itinerary between Rangiroa and Fakarawa. It is a little pricey but may be worth it. What is the best time of the year to dive in that area if there is one. I would also prefer to avoid the highly touristic season(s).

I think I would wait until I actually see that boat in the water in FP before I booked.....heard recently the boat is still being built. March for whales apparently although I dived FP in January and had Giant Hammerheads and whales.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom