Night Dives in PADI's Advanced Openwater Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure there are but that doesn't mean you ignore the training for all that go through the PADI advanced openwater course and an instructor who doesn't know much about night diving.

So, which training SHOULD you ignore for all that go through AOW?

I'm guessing that in Libya you ignore ice diving, no? An instructor in Vermont or Minnesota might find that disturbing. Instructors in the St Lawrence Seaway would shudder at you not offering Drift Diving. An instructor from central Florida or Tulum would be shocked that you're not offering Cavern as one of the dives. Me, I hope you're offering Wreck Diving as one of the dives... I would find an instructor not knowing much about wreck diving disturbing.

Or you could just come do your AOW courses in NJ... where all the dives seem like NIGHT dives anyway!

:D

Bed.jpg

So, which training SHOULD you ignore for all that go through AOW?

I'm guessing that in Libya you ignore ice diving, no? An instructor in Vermont or Minnesota might find that disturbing. Instructors in the St Lawrence Seaway would shudder at you not offering Drift Diving. An instructor from central Florida or Tulum would be shocked that you're not offering Cavern as one of the dives. Me, I hope you're offering Wreck Diving as one of the dives... I would find an instructor not knowing much about wreck diving disturbing.

I understand your point, but in fact AOW is a prereq for both Ice and Cavern; neither can be used as part of AOW...there is no "Adventure Dive" connected with them.

I did not do AOW until 84 dives. I already had 18 dives below 100 feet and 8 night dives. I did the requisite deep and nav dives and chose to do wreck, PPB, and DPV as my elective dives. Everyone should pick dives that are useful to them in the environments in which they dive. My AOW course was really quite good, unlike many who post on SB

---------- Post added August 20th, 2015 at 10:22 AM ----------

As a wizened elder instructor once told me.

"Night is the time for beer and pizza, not diving"

Diving at night does require a change in the beer consumption plan

I understand your point, but in fact AOW is a prereq for both Ice and Cavern; neither can be used as part of AOW...there is no "Adventure Dive" connected with them.

Y5fRJF3.gif

Back
Top Bottom