G16 has horrible focus for video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uspap

Contributor
Reaction score
I am so sick of this camera for video. The G10 had better focus than this. Video is useless. Am I doing something wrong? The camera will not hold focus in video mode.

I had a g15, although I had no problems with the focus, I had issues with white balance and blown highlights (I did custom WB off a slate every 10 ft). I found the video pretty useless on this camera (i don't do photo). Picked up a GoPro and if you use the right settings and technique can get much better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks scubanoobi. I have a Hero 2 attached to my camera setup and use it a lot more than the G16 video. It's just a bummer because one of the things that sold me on the camera was video specs.

The G16 can produce some absolutely stunning underwater video. The problem is that is has difficulty autofocusing when there is less than ideal contrast (like almost anytime you're shooting underwater!). The solution is simple: Don't use autofocus. Set up one of the user customizable settings (C1,C2) for video, including manual focus. I set the manual focus to be sharp from about 12 inches to infinity and programmed that setting in along with all the other parameters I wanted. Works great. In fact, I also programmed manual focus into the other customizable setting for shooting stills. That way, when something comes zooming past you can just whip the camera up and snap off a shot without having to wait for the camera to autofocus. When you have plenty of time, then you can use the other settings (M, P, Tv, etc). I also programmed the Shortcut (S) button for manual white balance. I think you'll find using manual focus for video will solve your problem, as I did. And again, if you program it into a customizable setting you never have to mess with it again. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom