Is there a place for competitive spirit in scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba spearfishing tournaments is one rather common area of scuba related competition. The issue of excessively aggressive/competitive people who are willing to endanger themselves for a trophy, a ribbon or $5,000 travel package is sometimes a major concern.

Even after many years of diving, the level of excitement generated on "game day" enhances my willingness to "try a little harder" and makes the activity more "fun" (for me anyway).

[video=youtube;IsMKxr_c9IM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsMKxr_c9IM[/video]

That presupposes we have the ability to counteract that outcome. The cave example is a perfect example of direct effect and has several real life examples to back it up. We are fortunate that thus far it has been land owners and not any actual governmental regulation.

Your ideological zeal is laudable, but the real world doesn't work like that. We need it make it safer ourselves, before someone makes it safer for us.

You have already signed up for the scuba police and don't seem to realize it yet.

You have already signed up for the scuba police and don't seem to realize it yet.

Not at all. Do all the stupid stuff you want, but don't make it such a public affair that it brings unwanted attention on everyone else. That's just being a dick to your fellow divers when they are the ones that have to deal with the fallout.

Under the radar dude, always better than waving it in their faces.

I just try and not be the reason my buddy /group needs to start ascent. Keep good trim, efficient use of energy, gear squared away, good use of gas, right thermal protection, etc... So I guess I am competing with my buddy / group to outlast them.

Last time I check, Diving is about enjoying underwater nature without the need of holding you breath, not about competition by any means.

I just try to have more fun than Wookie. I'll never catch up, but it's been a blast trying! :D :D :D

As long as he has divers like you and me to laugh at... he'll always have more fun! (Thank god there's no video of the first time Mel tried to "coax" me back on board the Spree while drift diving...)

Competitive spirit is closely akin to the pioneering spirit - the desire to find and meet new challenges.

Small doses of that are welcome in the diving community. But too much might be too much.

Spirit of exploration, yes. Competition against other divers, no. There are no meaningful metrics by which to measure one diver against another.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom