Newbie - How do dive charters work at Tobermory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello! We are beginner divers and will be going to Tobermory next week. We have only dived in the tropics, always with a guide, so are unsure what to expect at Tobermory. We plan to do an afternoon dive, probably the Wetmore/Sweepstakes combo, since both are pretty shallow dives. How do the charters work? I'm guessing that the captain gives us a briefing, explaining how to dive the wreck, where to go, how to get back on the boat? Really, I have no clue. Should we buy safety sausages and compass? I guess we're concerned about finding the boat after the dive, and surfacing safely, since I'm sure the area will have other sightseeing vessels around during this time of year. Thanks for you help!

The wrecks have moorings the boat ties to. You will likely get a history and general description of what/where the wreck lies from the captain. Splash, get to mooring line, descend. Swim around/explore, return to line, ascend. The Sweepstakes is in significantly shallow water (20'), so you can't get "lost", is an intact hull, so you could surface from it, and swim to the boat. The Wetmore is in 30'. Both can be seen from the surface. Being dive spots, the diving is safe from other traveling boats. Have fun!

The dive shops will ask to see your log books, too. Make sure to bring them along. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only mentioning this because I have seen it happen...

Be sure you have boots and open heel fins instead of full foot fins. I was on a charter to the Niagara II a few years ago with a diver who rented most gear, but said he had his own mask, fins, etc. Turns out all of his diving had been tropical and he had full foot fins. Lets just say his feet were VERY cold on that dive...

Being shallow and at this time of year, the Sweepstakes and the Wetmore will be as warm as it gets in Tobermory, but the water is still going to be cold-- especially for someone who has only been diving in the tropics to date.

Not sure how long you will be there or how much diving you are planning, but shore diving the Tugs is a nice easy dive (must have a dive float for shore dives). A charter out to the Caves is also a fun dive. Don't be intimidated by the word "Caves." It is an easy swimthrough into a large cavern with lots of tourists watching you (if you have hiked through Cypress Lake park, you will probably know the site as "the Grotto.")

Also make sure to allow yourself time before your first dive to go to the park visitor center to register and get your tag/bracelet. Don't arrive at the dive shop just in time for the dive without your tag. Until Labour day, they open at 8am (you can register and be at the shop in time for the morning charters). After Labour Day they open at 9am (you will need to register the day before for a morning charter).

Hi,

I am understanding that this will be your first cold water dive. Is that correct?

The thing to prepare for, more than the navigation, is the transition to cold water diving. Some options could be to do a dive with a buddy experienced in cold water diving, or maybe take a Discover Local Diving or Scuba Review in cold water gear, before doing a boat dive.

In Tobermory, the minimum that most people wear, in terms of exposure protection, is a 7 mm wetsuit. This time of year, on the shallow dives mentioned above, you could get away without a hood and gloves. But those would add warmth.

The heavier exposure protection will take some time to get used to.

It will be important to do a buoyancy check.

The dive sites mentioned above are good choices for first dives at Tobermory. The Tugs especially is a place that you can dress, wade in, and get used to the gear and the environment.

I am not trying to sound negative. But I would guess about one-third of the divers that I seen, on their first experience with cold water diving and heavy exposure suits, have difficulty feeling comfortable in the gear, maintaining buoyancy control, maintaining buddy contact, etc. This experience could be a lot of fun, but I suggest preparing for it, taking it slow, and giving yourself some time to acclimate to it.

Have a good time!

Also note that the dive boat experience will likely be very different from what you are used to in the tropics.

You will be gearing up on the boat, and with the heavier wetsuits, gloves, hoods, etc., things can get congested. Especially if the charter is full. Keep your gear stowed and confined to as small an area as possible to make life easier for everyone aboard.

It is also a good idea to bring along a dry bag for things like your clothes, phone, or anything else that you don't want to get wet.

Thank you very much everyone for all the great advice!

Yes, this is my first time diving in cold water. I specifically chose end of Aug/early Sept hoping the water would be at its warmest LOL!

I also thought about doing a Discover Scuba or Scuba Review, or even a Peak Performance Buoyancy course, but for various reasons, I ruled them out. I do think this to be a great idea though. If it were not for the fact that my in-laws are coming with us (non-divers) and we have to spend some quality time with them, I'd start off with a course, then do some shallow charters. But as it stands, we only have 1 day (maybe 2) to get some diving in.

I'm gonna seriously think about doing the Tugs first though...any tips on how/where to do this shore dive? Wonder if bringing my in-laws to watch us scuba dive the Tugs is considered "spending quality time" with them? :D

Dry bag...didn't think of that! Great! Thanks!

There is a great deck/dock at the Tugs site (toilet facilities too) that looks across tot he harbor. Bring some folding chairs, a cooler, and make it an afternoon...

There is a great deck/dock at the Tugs site (toilet facilities too) that looks across tot he harbor. Bring some folding chairs, a cooler, and make it an afternoon...

Great plan!

If you are not familiar with the site, it is across the street from the Grandview motel with lots of parking available. For non divers, it has great views of the lighthouse as well as the ferry if it happens to there at the time.

There will likely be other divers there. Feel free to ask where the wrecks are. If there are divers in the water, their floats can be a good indicator of where the wrecks are. All can easily be seen in a single dive.

vlcsnap-2015-07-06-10h45m29s66.jpgtaken from the surface while snorkeling at the tugs.... enjoy your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom