Ten years!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gut wrenching reading this.

Wow I live in So Cal and a few years ago when I was a new diver she offered to go out diving with me and her husband when the came to Cali next. She was always quick to offer solid advice.

My heart goes out to her husband and family.

Incredibly nice person and a truly good heart

When I read the post, "TS&M. Lynn Flaherty in the Passing forum, I was stunned. I assumed that it was not related to the underwater world. It such a small world that I had no idea that Lynn was an ER Doc in my small little town in Washingotn State. Her passion, her gracious presence, her thoughtful comments, and her caring outlook is rare combination. My heart goes out to her husband, Peter, and her family. charlie

I agree, she had to be the nicest person on this board. The only person she was ever openly critical of - was herself.

She seemed to make a point of talking about her two biggest challenges: a very pronounced susceptibility to vertigo when presented with no visual reference and a seemingly unusually low tolerance for narcosis, which if I understood her various posts, made her very reluctant to dive more than just 100 feet without the benefit of helium in the mix.

It sounds like more people are FINALLY giving these two issues the consideration they deserve with respect to potential relevance to her fatality.

Many members seem to envision her as a very strong and capable diver. From my perspective, these two issues represent serious weaknesses (or at least vulnerabilities) when functioning in a high current, drift dive situation with no visual references and when drifting in water that she knew would cause her significant narcosis.

It sounds like more people are FINALLY giving these two issues the consideration they deserve with respect to potential relevance to her fatality.

Many members seem to envision her as a very strong and capable diver. From my perspective, these two issues represent serious weaknesses (or at least vulnerabilities) when functioning in a high current, drift dive situation with no visual references and when drifting in water that she knew would cause her significant narcosis.

Really, I don't think that belongs in a celebratory thread she had posted about a milestone of hers. There is a specific thread for that discussion in the Accident/Prevention section of the forum.

I agree, she had to be the nicest person on this board. The only person she was ever openly critical of - was herself.

She seemed to make a point of talking about her two biggest challenges: a very pronounced susceptibility to vertigo when presented with no visual reference and a seemingly unusually low tolerance for narcosis, which if I understood her various posts, made her very reluctant to dive more than just 100 feet without the benefit of helium in the mix.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...ing-greater-than-30m-100ft-unless-helium.html

Last edited:

Lynne was a strong and capable diver who managed her Vertigo Handicap intrepidly & valiantly all these years. It makes prudent sense that she would try to minimize Narcosis in order to avoid further compounding problems should she experience Vertigo during a dive. I think she deserved kudos and sympathy as such rather than the cold reproach from you DumpsterDiver. . .

An easier breathing & less dense 25/25 Trimix bottom gas instead of Air or Ntirox32 on her last dive would have aided and improved her chances of survival. In hindsight, the Helium expense would've been worth it: She would only have had to manage overcoming and recovery from her Vertigo, which probably was the accident's primary triggering event. . .
1) Vertigo -cannot orient or discern up from down; followed by 2) CO2 Retention & Narcosis, Dyspnea & Exertion Hypercapnia brought on by fighting the strong downcurrent; and then 3) final encroachment upon Eanx32 MOD/Ox-Tox limits in an uncontrolled descent.

This is a potential worst case scenario of an overwhelming set of cascading problems that will quickly incapacitate a lone buddy-separated diver: If victim cannot recover & stabilize in time from 1) and 2) above, resulting in stupor or loss of consciousness --then it is just a matter of a few minutes before final Ox-Tox Seizure in 3). . .

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...itation-further-discussion-5.html#post7516825
We are all Lynne Flaherty's Advocates, here on ScubaBoard for these past Ten Years. Thankful for her honesty, insight & wisdom; honoring her Memory & Sacrifice, cognitively & emotionally coming to understand & accept her Passing if it was to be by Dive Accident . . .(I'm sure she would have wanted it that way).

Last edited:
Reactions: mdb
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom