TSandM -- Lynne Flaherty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm so so sorry, Peter. Several years ago, When Michael (WV Diver) and I came to Seattle, you and Lynne were so gracious and met us for dinner. You were both such warm and helpful people. I am so sorry that you are going through this. Our prayers are with you for peace and comfort.

Peter,
Though I only knew Lynne from her posts on Scubaboard, she was clearly one of those few very special people who make the world a better place by just being who they are.
We are all the poorer for her loss.
My sincere condolences.

Dan

My condolences Peter.

I've spent most of the day reconnecting with dive buddies, trying to make sense of this, with no luck. I haven't been on in years, but found that Lynne was the last person I spoke to on SB back in 2011 (she caught me lurking).

The first time I dove with Lynne was back in 2006. Richard & Melody invited us up after Christmas, and we met up with you guys and the rest of the Washington gang. Emma was just 3 months old that trip (she'll be 9 next month), and we dove at the site near the ferry (sorry, don't remember the name). She and I were paired up on what I believe was her first doubles dive (or her first dive with her new set of doubles). I think it was before her fundies class, but she was a solid diver even then. I remember how impressed I was with her strength and will power as she adjusted to the doubles.

We then spent New Year's Eve at your house with your family and friends. You two made us feel so welcome.

As Janeane and I have refocused on our family (Emma 8, Jamie 5, and Alice 2), we've stayed in touch. When Janeane tore her ACL last year, Lynne immediately reached out to her, and helped her prepare for the surgery and long recovery.

I don't think she'd mind me sharing this PM. It embodies so much of who she was, and how much she loved helping people.

~ Jason

TSandM:
Good to see you back!
TSandM:
Well, I mostly hang out here to keep telling new divers and people with active curiosity that there's more to know than what they got in open water . . .

I've been good. Not doing as much local diving as I used to, but making up for it with trips to Monterey and SoCal and Mexico and Florida. Peter's teaching pretty steadily through the summer months.

I gather you're being kept thoroughly busy with the little ones, but still making a bit of time now and then to dive?

Lynne

Im in shock Peter, Lynne is probably the person I identify the most with everything I respect about proper diving ... in every respect. I send you my warmest thoughts ...

This saddens me so much. I have no words. Great woman, great human being.

Well, I guess it's time to move on to the next phase of grieving ... acceptance. I don't want to ... Lord knows I didn't cry this much when my own mother died ... but life goes on, and everybody who knew Lynne understands that she was exceptionally good at living. So best to get on with it. Part of the healing process is to talk ... so I hope you'll bear with me a bit, because I sorely need to do just that ... talk about my friend.

I first met her, what was it ... 10 years ago? I followed a link on ScubaBoard to her personal blog and read about her adventures in Open Water class. She so completely captured the stereotype of the clueless student that I decided right away that I just HAD to meet this woman. So when a club dive gave the opportunity, I arranged to be her dive buddy. Took about a millisecond to warm up to her ... if she was a perfume I'd have labeled her "Essence of Enthusiasm". I'd have sworn she was part puppy. And it took all of about five seconds underwater to realize that she was in serious need of a mentor. So I volunteered, and that was the beginning of a friendship that's been a fundamental part of my life ever since. It didn't take long to recognize her meticulous nature, and I casually mentioned to her that there was this class called "Fundamentals" that I thought she'd enjoy and get a lot out of. That turned out to be the understatement of the decade. And so was born the Borg Queen.

Over the years we've gone on trips together, had many memorable dives, shared company at each other's homes, laughed ... sometimes grieved the loss of other friends. Lynne was a ray of sunshine ... one of those people who can light up a room simply by walking into it (often with a glass of wine in her hand) and striking up a conversation. I met a lot of you through Lynne ... sometimes at her home. There was the classic "And Lynne Was Furious" toast at Peter's birthday party. The trips to the Channel Islands. Many hours spent exchanging posts and emails. The dive when she saw her first sixgill shark ... and so many others. Lynne was the steadiest friend a person could ever hope for. If I have any regrets, it's those times when we could have spent time together, and I opted not to ... always thinking there would be other opportunities later on. Never in my wildest imaginings did it ever occur to me that I'd be grieving her passing ... it was her that always worried about me, after all ... I always assumed I'd go first.

I learned a lot from Lynne ... about diving ... about life. Her friendship came with conditions, but they were always reasonable and easy to achieve ... and so worth it. I can only hope to spend the rest of my days paying those lessons forward, and passing friendship on to others in the manner that she did. Her body may have passed from this world, but her spirit never will. She'll live within my memories, and within my heart ... as I'm sure she will for many of you ... until the day I pass from this earth and we meet once again.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Peter,

I've tried numerous times to post on this thread. Each time, I just couldn't bear to accept that Lynn might actually be gone.

While you live in a different area than I do, I feel like Lynn has always been a part of my diving life. She was one of the first ones to greet me when I first started posting in scubaboard 10 years ago. She gave me advice and encouraging words when I wasn't feeling well while taking a class in Mexico in 2007. One of my favorite cave dives was with you and Lynn in 2008 when we dove Mayan Blue together. I was with you guys when we were on the first of the Channel Islands DYFO boats.

By chance, Ben and I were at Pt Lobos when you and Lynn were visiting last year. I don't remember much about the dive or much about what we did for lunch afterwards. But what I do remember is how great it felt to see, to dive with and to catch up with dear friends once again.

I feel incredibly sad for many reasons. Though Lynn and I were not close, she was a dear friend all the same. I feel sad that I lost that dear friend. I feel sad for all the divers who only knew her through scubaboard and did not have a chance to meet her and to experience how special she was in person. I feel sad for all the people who will one day be divers - they'll never have the benefit of knowing Lynn and have the privilege of calling her a dear friend.

I hope that you are able to find some measure of comfort in the knowledge that Lynn, such a kind and unassuming soul, touched so many people in such profound ways. And that all of us will miss her greatly.

well, I'm from the middle east and I really hope that she will turn up somewhere safe and sound

Peter, I can't even begin to fathom what you must be experiencing, the emotion, heartache and utter disbelief. Lynne was one in a million, and though I never met her in person, I always enjoyed my interactions with her on here and Facebook. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Peter, just want to say... Sorry... I always liked her posts....Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom