Jim Abernethy baited shark dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ambam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone done the 3 tank shark baited dive in palm beach with jim abernethys scuba adventures? i cant find much if any info on it, thanks

There is this:

Man fatally bitten by shark off Bahamas identified

By Andrew Ba Tran and David Fleshler | Sun-Sentinel.com

An Austrian man bitten by a shark while diving over the weekend near the Bahamas has died, authorities said Monday.

The man "passed away from his injuries sustained by a shark bite," said Coast Guard spokeswoman Petty Officer Jennifer Johnson.

The victim was identified as Markus Groh, 49, a lawyer from Vienna, according to Ken Smeriglio, an assistant in the Austrian Consulate in Miami.

Groh was diving about 50 miles east of Fort Lauderdale on Sunday at about 10 a.m. when a shark bit him, according to officials.

Groh had dove off the 70-foot Shear Water, which contacted the Coast Guard after the incident.

The blue commercial diving vessel is registered to Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures from Riviera Beach.

The company offers shark trips to the Bahamas for enthusiasts and photographers hoping to interact with hammerhead and tiger sharks, according to its Web site.

Operators for the company stir in fish and fish parts to "chum" the water and attract the sharks, reads the itinerary. "Please be aware that these are not 'cage' dives; they are open water experiences," states the Web site.

The Coast Guard dispatched a rescue helicopter, and its crew hoisted the man off the boat and flew him to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.

In a brief telephone interview, Abernethy said he felt terrible about what happened.

"Right now my heart and soul is with his family," he said.

Abernethy said he couldn't talk further because he was busy with Coast Guard investigators.

George Burgess, director of the International Shark Attack File, said this would be the first fatal attack involving shark feeding, if it turns out those were the circumstances of the attack. There have been more than two dozen injuries involving feeding, he said.

Burgess said he opposed shark feeding, not so much because it's dangerous but because it trains sharks to expect food from people and not to fear them.

"They lose their natural caution around human beings," he said. "For the same reason on land, you don't feed alligators, you don't feed raccoons, you don't feed bears. It's changing the behavior of sharks and changing the ecology of these areas by concentrating sharks in one area.

Abernethy had been told by the Bahamas Diving Association to exercise caution with more aggressive sharks such as mako, lemon, tiger and hammerhead sharks.

The association, a group of 36 charter businesses that operate in the Bahamas, sent a letter to Abernathy and other boat owners in the past year recommending a cease and desists to conducting "open-water non-cage Shark Diving experiences with known species of potentially dangerous sharks," said Neal Watson, the association president.

"Most operators do a safe dive behind cages. But Abernethy, for whatever reason, simply refused to comply with the safe diving practices in violation of our standards in the Bahamas," said Watson, who operates a diving company out of Fort Lauderdale.

It is tempting to offer a cageless option to customers: both the photographs and personal experience would be enhanced. But the risks are too great, Watson said.

"Him working with tiger sharks and bull sharks uncaged is totally irresponsible and dangerous," he said. "It wasn't a matter of 'if,' it was a matter of 'when.'"

Yeah. I read that and understand the risk but i want to do it so i was looking for people that have actually done it. The one i am referring to is not in the Bahamas but in jupiter FL and not a liveaboard but just a charter. They go out on that dive every thursday so i would imagine one attack isnt that bad. Thanks though

I may be wrong but I believe Abernethy moved his operation to the Bahamas because Florida made it illegal to bait sharks in state waters. I think there is a charter that does shark dives out of Jupiter but I do not know the name of it. It's my understanding that they go out beyond the state waters.

I stand corrected! :)

Shark feeding isn't allowed within Florida state waters, so operators have to move at least 3 miles off the coast. The op. out of Jupiter who has a pretty strong name recognition for doing shark feed (I said feed, not baited) dives is Emerald Dive Charters. I've yet to dive with EDC or Abernathy, & only post since this may be of interest.

Richard.

I may be wrong but I believe Abernethy moved his operation to the Bahamas because Florida made it illegal to bait sharks in state waters. I think there is a charter that does shark dives out of Jupiter but I do not know the name of it. It's my understanding that they go out beyond the state waters.

wow...Clearly you have serious personal issues with Abernethy.

But Abernethy has an excellent Shark operation here off of Palm Beach, in the legal zone 3 miles out and beyond....And Abernethy is the operator that the top TV, movie and documentary people go to for filming...because he does the best shark dives.

For the OP, try Florida Liveaboard | Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures

Shark feeding isn't allowed within Florida state waters, so operators have to move at least 3 miles off the coast. The op. out of Jupiter who has a pretty strong name recognition for doing shark feed (I said feed, not baited) dives is Emerald Dive Charters. I've yet to dive with EDC or Abernathy, & only post since this may be of interest.

Richard.

Checked out Emerald charters and it seems like they only do nitrox charters, im not nitrox certified :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom