Mandatory tracking device for divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think that you understand my point. I think that you are taking a very reasonable idea (carrying a locator beacon on high risk dives) into some sort of libertarian straw man.

Excuse me, read the title Mandatory that means something, it comes with penalties. Don't change it to just carrying one like it was a choice that ain't the idea of the OP.

Right, that's the title posted by the OP. But as with most of these threads, it's a meandering discussion between divers, not a legal deposition. So I was just saying that there were advantages of underwater beacons in certain circumstances. Rail against the OP if you like, but I wasn't suggesting any sort of law, even if it were possible to implement such a thing.

.......and you wouldn't carry one on principle, then that's your choice. Principle has nothing to do with anything. I don't use a seat belt because my personal experience is that I don't need one. I also disable the bomb in the steering wheel because it causes me more concern that reassurance.

Do you only carry a redundant gas supply because you once needed to do a CESA? If a diver has never had a first stage failure or an LP hose blowout, would you draw the conclusion that they don't need redundancy, based on their personal experience?

If I was diving in one the 3rd world locations you bet your bibby I'd carry a locator. Divers get left behind and go missing on a pretty regular basis at those locals.

I think that you are not distinguishing between surface devices (like the Nautilus Lifeline) and underwater beacons. I have no argument about a Lifeline, and I also carry one when I dive in third world locations like New Jersey.

There's a very non-tech solution that already exists, floating dive buoys that are towed by divers. I'd even be opposed to that being mandatory though.

Me too, as they'd be a real bear to tow through a wreck...

Right, that's the title posted by the OP. But as with most of these threads, it's a meandering discussion between divers, not a legal deposition. So I was just saying that there were advantages of underwater beacons in certain circumstances. Rail against the OP if you like, but I wasn't suggesting any sort of law, even if it were possible to implement such a thing.

Do you only carry a redundant gas supply because you once needed to do a CESA? If a diver has never had a first stage failure or an LP hose blowout, would you draw the conclusion that they don't need redundancy, based on their personal experience?

I think that you are not distinguishing between surface devices (like the Nautilus Lifeline) and underwater beacons. I have no argument about a Lifeline, and I also carry one when I dive in third world locations like New Jersey.

No confusion on my part. I understand your position and I don’t care what name it goes by I’m not toting anything I don’t think I need.

That’s why the SMB w/flag so I exit the water with a dive flag but not tow it during the dive, I deploy at the end of the dive. It covers the law in that those that enforce it see me carrying a flag and assume I towed the entire dive.

I carry and do what I think; that is me; I need to conduct a safe dive. After 45 years of diving and 2050 dives I pretty much have it down pat.
I carry a pocket full of safety gear that comes with me on every dive. The pocket is attached to my harness. The SMB with the dive flag sewn on it kept in that pocket is all I’ve ever used but, I still carry the other stuff. I’ve never had an octo instead I sling a pony a redundant supply on every dive except solo dives where I use IDs.

I don’t need a gaggle of lawyers telling me to carry XY or Z for my own good. I know more about my own good than anyone else on earth.

Last edited:

But when you become entangled and happened to forget your cutting tools it will be real easy to find your body... :D

In RI shore divers are required by law to tow a float and flag. The Dept of the Envioment is on shore waitng and the divers exitng the water without a flag receive a $25.00 fine increased by $25.00 for every offense.

Yes, but the Nautilus is really a different thing from an underwater locator beacon. And think about this: Captain Rich had to make a really hard choice on the Doria last month, and a correct one in my opinion. He prevented a double tragedy by directing resources where they might have done the most good (the surface search). But consider a different scenario, a few years from now when those beacons are more reliable, etc.. A diver blows runtime, and you KNOW that he's not on the surface. THEN, you have crucial data to help with your decision making. And if that diver is on a rebreather and not OC, you might even make a successful rescue, not just a recovery.

doctormike. I feel the pain in your posts. So sorry.

That is a whole lot of "ands" and "ifs." I am not saying that such a device would never be appropriate but that by your own example, it would be the rare diver that would benefit.

In RI shore divers are required by law to tow a float and flag. The Dept of the Envioment is on shore waitng and the divers exitng the water without a flag receive a $25.00 fine increased by $25.00 for every offense.

really? what a drag! ... get it? ... d r a g ?? !! :rofl3:

... sorry forgot to take my meds this morning.

doctormike. I feel the pain in your posts. So sorry.

That is a whole lot of "ands" and "ifs." I am not saying that such a device would never be appropriate but that by your own example, it would be the rare diver that would benefit.

True, but maybe Tom and Lynne aren't the only examples.

Lifelines have become pretty common, but most divers will never use theirs. I can see people who are doing big dives (deep ocean, wreck penetration, cave exploration, etc...) sticking one of these things in their dry suit pocket on the off chance that it might help with a rescue (less likely) or a recovery.

From what I can tell, family members really do appreciate closure, even in those circumstances - it's not just for the diver. Cave divers do recoveries all too frequently, and something like this would help with that a lot, especially in complex systems where it's not clear where the diver ended up.

So if someone made them relatively small, cheap and rechargeable (all of which are doable), they might have their place in the vast supermarket of dive gadgets.

True, but maybe Tom and Lynne aren't the only examples.

Lifelines have become pretty common, but most divers will never use theirs. I can see people who are doing big dives (deep ocean, wreck penetration, cave exploration, etc...) sticking one of these things in their dry suit pocket on the off chance that it might help with a rescue (less likely) or a recovery.

From what I can tell, family members really do appreciate closure, even in those circumstances - it's not just for the diver. Cave divers do recoveries all too frequently, and something like this would help with that a lot, especially in complex systems where it's not clear where the diver ended up.

So if someone made them relatively small, cheap and rechargeable (all of which are doable), they might have their place in the vast supermarket of dive gadgets.

I would consider buying one and using it when I dive NC miles from shore in some rough water at times..

From what I can tell, family members really do appreciate closure, even in those circumstances - it's not just for the diver.

I do the first two types of dives, and at some point in the future I'll be doing the third. I'm not going to carry a beacon in my pocket or anywhere else.

My family know the calculated risks I take while diving - we've discussed them and I share my predive planning and risk analysis with them so that they're aware of what my dives entail. They also know that if someday I don't come back they shouldn't launch an extensive search for me. If I'm gone I'm gone and unless the ocean sees fit to return my remains that's where I'll be. My dive buddies know who gets which of my gear if I should die while diving, and my family members know that I love them.

I think the idea of a mandatory locator is overreaching authority, and no, I'm not a libertarian. I simply have no interest in such a device.

-Adrian

Back
Top Bottom