Diving the PNW vs. Nor CAL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poomero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So my wife and I are going to be moving in the next few months and I have some questions. How does the diving compare to northern California waters? How far are some dive sites from Portland? What is the viz and water temps in the PNW? Do I need a dry suit or will a good 7mil be fine? I don't mind a 2 hour drive to go dive so please don't restrict locations.

Any info you guys can share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Hi Josh!

Portland is a wonderful city but perhaps not the best location for divers. The best/nearest salt water diving is going to be up in Hood Canal, about a 3 hour drive. The Seattle area, Port Townsend, Whidbey Island, and other places in Puget Sound also have excellent diving but are a bit farther.

I can't compare it with NorCal... haven't dove there yet. Water temps in Puget Sound range from the low 40's in the winter to the mid 50's in the summer. Vis is generally so-so, 20-25 ft is considered a good dive; that said, it can vary from pea soup nothingness to eye-popping 80+ ft depending on the season and location. People do dive it in 7mm wetsuits, I think they're crazy. Anybody who is a regular and/or serious diver eventually gets a drysuit and they're much happier that way. Just sayin'!

Cheers,

glenn

I've done both. I lived on the Puget Sound for 4 years and have been living in Monterey for the last 2 years. What Glenn said is exactly right. Oregon divers flock to the Puget Sound every week because Oregon diving isn't worth doing. Be prepared for greatly reduced visibility in the Sound compared to NoCal - 6 inches to 1 foot of viz in the Puget Sound in the summertime isn't uncommon.

-Adrian

Oh man you guys are depressing me! I don't mind a 3 hour drive if it is worth it but will it be worth it? I will give it a shot and reevaluate down the road I guess. I don't dive Monterey a ton more the north coast. Not great viz and its cold.

The viz in the Puget Sound varies dramatically during the season. Right now, we are enjoying over 20' of viz (maybe even 30'). There is some pretty good diving in the Hood Canal. My family has a house on the beach, but still a 45 minute drive to most of the dive sites (near Belfair St. Park).

I only have about 8 dives in Monterey. Overall from my very limited experience, I'd say the viz is better.

I'd recommend diving in both in a dry suit. Just be comfortable.

In defense of Oregon diving, I have logged more dives in Oregon coast than WA and CA combined. I'm in Ft Lewis now but I still go down to Oregon when I have a chance. Better fishing and crabbing down there.

Garibaldi is less than 2 hours away from Portland, and it provides great waters for summer/fall season. Newport is another popular place with more protection from swells. 7mm is durable. Drysuit does keep you warmer, but I doubt it could hold up against the rocks during entry/exit over the jetties. I normally dive a two-piece 7mm or a one piece 7mm with 7/5 hooded vest under it. I dove in a one piece 5mm couple of times last winter and it was not too bad. I do have a drysuit but that is for easy entries only. In colder months, wind chill is more problematic than the cold sea water, luckily there are nice hot showers nearby.

It is ture Oregon coast does not provide the best vis or easiest shore entries, just a reminder to work out regularly and eat a healthy diet:wink::wink:. It also means more potentials to explore your own spots.

Winter and early spring is nightmare though. With all the runoff from our lovely and never-ending rainfall, you can hardly see anything further than your arm's length. Offshore sites might be better but I don't have a boat to check out.

Also you may want to check out Clear Lake for spectacular vis, or even Crater Lake if you are a hardcore diver.

I had the pleasure of diving Hood Canal and Whidbey island this past March, 10 dives.

Mike's beach resort, Sund Rock, Keystone jetty to name a few spots

Visibility was never worse than 20' and stretched to 30 and 40 at times. I was told we were very lucky.

Definitely colder than Monterey. Temps ran between 46 and 48. But I was in my new FLX Extreme and never had any issues. There were people that were diving in wetsuits though. I just would not want to. 48 is about my limit in a 7 mil.

But the one thing that really impressed me was that they had many of the same fish. Ling cods, copper rockfish, vermillion... The difference is that it was like they were on steroids! Way bigger than in Monterey.

All in all, a great time. And since I have to drive 3 hours now to get to Monterey in perfect traffic conditions, that seems very doable from Portland

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom