Any tips for the complacent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baragon

Registered
Reaction score
When I opened my scuba bag on board yesterday I was greeted with a stale smell from the wetsuit, my mask had some black fungus growth. Even after a couple of dives the wetsuit still has that embarassing musty smell.

Obviously I can't have let my equipment thoroughly dry the last time I cleaned it about 7 weeks ago.

- Does anyone know how I can remove the black stuff from my lesser-accessible places of my mask (I was thinking of vinegar soak, but feared the acidity may do something to the silicone).
- Can I machine wash my wetsuit with a wee bit washing powder? (I was thinking of a cold machine wash).

Thanks

baragon:
When I opened my scuba bag on board yesterday I was greeted with a stale smell from the wetsuit, my mask had some black fungus growth. Even after a couple of dives the wetsuit still has that embarassing musty smell.

Tip # 1.

STOP being so complacent!

baragon:
Obviously I can't have let my equipment thoroughly dry the last time I cleaned it about 7 weeks ago.

Tip # 2.

Let your equipment dry.

baragon:
- Does anyone know how I can remove the black stuff from my lesser-accessible places of my mask (I was thinking of vinegar soak, but feared the acidity may do something to the silicone).

Tip # 3.

Toothpaste, and..... A TOOTHBRUSH to reach those "hard to reach" places..

baragon:
- Can I machine wash my wetsuit with a wee bit washing powder? (I was thinking of a cold machine wash).

Tip # 4. NO, you can NOT... Instead, might I recommend a tub of luke warm water with a table spoon or two downey fabric softener that will kill the stench and lift out the salts that are remaining in the suit, then, rinse, rinse, rinse with FRESH water and this time, DRY your suit in the open air before packing it away, in fact, don't pack it in your dive bag until you're going to GO DIVING, hang it up somewhere safe where it will be cool and dry and NEAT...

baragon:

You're welcome.

Some masks are relatively easy to take apart to clean. If yours does, you'll be able to clean the gunk from between mask parts.

Paula

GQMedic:
Tip # 4. NO, you can NOT... Instead, might I recommend a tub of luke warm water with a table spoon or two downey fabric softener that will kill the stench and lift out the salts that are remaining in the suit, then, rinse, rinse, rinse with FRESH water and this time, DRY your suit in the open air before packing it away, in fact, don't pack it in your dive bag until you're going to GO DIVING, hang it up somewhere safe where it will be cool and dry and NEAT...

You're welcome.

Actually Ya you can, but use the gentile cycle. I do this all the time and it never hurt my wetsuit. Hang it up to dry afterwards. NO you CAN'T use the dryer.

Wendy:
Actually Ya you can, but use the gentile cycle. I do this all the time and it never hurt my wetsuit. Hang it up to dry afterwards. NO you CAN'T use the dryer.

Cleaning a wet suit in a washing machine will work with some wetsuits but not others. It works with the older style no frills wetsuits. But, I have had trouble with wetsuits that have certain linings &/or fabric covering the outside of the suit. They inside or outside covering separated from the neoprene and bunched up attaching itself to itself. Somewhat of a wrinkled dog look that wouldn't go completely back to where it belonged even with stretching, wearing or diving with the suit.

If you do decide to try the washing machine I'd check it periodically to make sure you aren't damaging it. But, I'd soak it in a tub works and is a less riskly approach that does work.

Paula

I always wash my wetsuits in the washer with liquid laundry detergent. One cycle with detergent, and two cycles with plain, tepid (not hot!) water. The spin-dry is adequate to dry out the suit most of the way, and a wetsuit hanger dries it the rest of the way. I never put my suits folded in a bag, I always hang them. Seems to help keep them clean, dry and stench-free.

baragon:

Vinegar won't hurt it. Try an old toothbrush.

baragon:

Once when I left my drysuit hanging in the garage at my parents' house, my mom put it throught the washer, and it was OK, so it's not likely to hurt a wetsuit.

And remember, Clorox will correct a multitude of sins.

Do not use vinegar on your mask. The silicone should be alright but the acid can react with certain types of plastic and crystalize and become brittle. The unfortunate part of this is you probably won't find out until the wrong time. Use a toothbrush and toothpaste.

Not sure if this would work to get rid of the smell...how about soaking it in a solution of baking soda. Never tried it, but baking soda seems to take care of a lot of odors.

When my stuff gets extra funky I use some enzyme cleaner for the wetsuit & BCD, it should get rid of the funky smell, then use some wetsuit shampoo in a warm tub and let it soak for a couple of hours. I pretty much toss everything in the tub, especially after a dive vacation when my stuff is extra ripe...
I use toothpaste and toothbrush for my mask as well...

Back
Top Bottom