Benefit of Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha, well, then work on your SAC rate and you'll be a better diver for that, and for THEN benefiting from nitrox in a way that matters to you.

After 45 years and 2051 dives it is what is and it ain't going to get any better. Besides I've got a lot more dives behind me than I do ahead of me. This the part where I accept the things you can't change.

If I were wealthy I'd consider a rebreather and be done with it, but right now I'm trying to find $3000.00 to re-shingle my roof. The $20,000.00 for rebreather training and gear I'm hoping I'll find in a bag on the side of the road. :) safe diving

Aotus, In regards to the 1st post where you quoted me I do have a question. ? How does more or less N for an equivalent TIME spent underwater reduce the risk of DCS if both TIMES are well within the NDL be it N or air NDL?

I could understand if the TIME was skirting the NDL and the diver was using air NDL, but a few more N molecules for an NDL dive doesn't concern me enough to spend money on. The benefit to using nitrox would have to more than that for me.

The diver using nitrox and pushing the nitrox NDL is at the same risk of DCS as the air diver doing the same.

Last edited:
The OP asked a simple question about nitrox use. He/she did not ask for a scientific dissertation on nitrox. This incessant pissing contest on these boards is why, I for one, visit less and less. A simple question becomes an all out war of words over nothing. Get a grip.

The OP asked a simple question about nitrox use. He/she did not ask for a scientific dissertation on nitrox. This incessant pissing contest on these boards is why, I for one, visit less and less. A simple question becomes an all out war of words over nothing. Get a grip.

Agreed. This should be a friendly place. I apologize for feeding the trolls. Can't let the few ruin things.

Agreed. This should be a friendly place. I apologize for feeding the trolls. Can't let the few ruin things.

I take offense, you have called me a troll. Please post your experience with EAN to justify your opinion on it's benefit. There was no trolling, you were merely called out for posting on something you had NO experience with. You don't even hold an OW cert yet, but choose to pontificate on things you have no experience with. At least preface your posts with "I'm not certified yet, but..."

deleted duplicate

Yea I visit less and less because of all the people that try to prove themselves better than others. Shame really because there is good information stuck between so many crappy posts. I'll miss TS&M.

Well some of us like it. If you don't you are free to skip the parts you don't like or even pick a different thread. I don't like even the smell of fish cooking but I don't try to get people to stop eating it.

In regards to this post I do have a question. ? How does more or less N for an equivalent TIME spent underwater
reduce the risk of DCS if the TIMES are well within the NDL be it N or air NDL?

I could understand if the TIME was skirting the NDL and the diver was using nitrox with air NDL, but a few more N molecules for a NDL dives sure doesn't worry me to the tune of over $200.00!

Outside sources/discussions of this point:

"By reducing the amount of nitrogen in the breathing gas and replacing it with a gas the body metabolizes anyway, nitrox can lower the risk of DCS or even safely extend a diver's bottom time, but it's important to realize both cannot be done at the same time." Note again that my point was given EQUAL dive time wherein you stated gas volume and not NDL was the limiting factor of bottom time. SOURCE: Alert Diver | Nitrox

Nitrous provides a "buffer" (consider progression towards deco on dive tables): Practical Guide to Nitrox Diving | Scuba Diving

"It is possible to achieve a decompression safety buffer by using nitrox with air table limits, since this will reduce your inert gas uptake compared to using air." which is the better explained way of saying what I was trying to say above. SOURCE: Breathing Gas Mixture | Decompression Sickness - DAN Health & Diving

Regarding your thought that greater N might not be worth the cost of the class. I again want to say that the class is way overpriced, it's stupid. BUT, the decision about whether it's worth it is personal. I have a couple risk factors that potentially put me at greater risk of DCS. So, I usually add a couple minutes to my deco and safety stops, I use more conservatism in my planning and computer, and I dive nitrox. YMMV.

Last edited:

Always good to see another combatant. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom