HOG D1 First Stage o-ring size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xBabyJesus

Registered
Reaction score
Removing a LPI hose from the 5th port, I unscrewed the whole 5th port fitting from the swivel turret (separating the turret from main body). On reassembly, the big viton o-ring on the turret got pinched. Can someone with a service manual or diagram give me the size of this o-ring?

Picture for scale :)

20150904_004330152_iOS.jpg

Looks like an 024 but I don't have the docs in front of me unfortunately. Hopefully someone will be able to chime in with a confirmed answer.

I finally found a schema diagram and it is, in fact, an 024.

AS568-024 N70

Amazon.cm: 024 Viton O-Ring, 75A Durometer, Black, 1-1/8" ID, 1-1/4" OD, 1/16" Width

Ok, I specifically waited to answer this thread until this morning to see what kind of response the original poster was provided, whether it would be partially correct, correct but incomplete, or something else all together. While the o-ring size 024-70 is correct all of the relevant information was not provided and as such if the poster just uses what has previously been provided he will likely have more performance related problems shortly. So let me provide all of the relevant information the OP needs. 1. The OP specified that he accidentally removed the turret bolt assembly when unscrewing a hose. The turret bolt assembly is not just a pass through port that holds the swivel in place, it is also the HP balance chamber, spring rest and part of the HP seat regulation assembly. As such, if you unscrew it from the body, then re-install it you will virtually never get it to make contact with the Hard internal seat in the same spot again. This will a cause a new groove to be cut into the re-used HP seat and more than likely create overlapping circles of cuts (think of a critical thinking ven diagram) the points where these overlapping cuts intersect are points of failure and too large a gap and allow for creeping IP, Higher than specified IP, or IP failure. The take away here is that anytime the HP seat is removed from the first stage for any reason, a new HP seat should be installed before re-assembly and new IP tuning and break in should be performed. 2. No specifications for the proper torque specification upon re-assembly were provided. The turret assembly should be re-installed to a torque of 175 inch lbs and any LP hose attached to any of the turrets should only be attached to 40 inch pounds. 3. There are specific adjustment procedures for setting IP correctly with the new seat and there are steps that must be performed before installing the new seat, failure to follow them can cause the installation to damage the surface of the new seat before you get started. I will not go into them here as they constitute servicing procedures that we will not post in a public forum, if the OP would like to contact me directly which I would have preferred he did in the first place I will be happy to assist him in getting his regulator back working properly with proper parts and installation. OP you can call or email but I prefer direct contact with our consumers and users when it comes to servicing and service related questions. edgediving.operations@gmail.com or 888-810-48111

Exactly why I did not respond to this. As a HOG Equipment Service Clinic Instructor I will not give out certain information on a public forum to untrained divers. Too much liability.

Thank you for the info, I did not know about the hard seat cuts / torque spec. The more you know. I'll give you a call Tuesday to discuss.

---------- Post added September 7th, 2015 at 12:43 PM ----------

Exactly why I did not respond to this. As a HOG Equipment Service Clinic Instructor I will not give out certain information on a public forum to untrained divers. Too much liability.

I appreciate your concern with the liability. There's never anything wrong with throwing a red flag, however. "Hey dummy, don't just put it back together, that's a critical tuned part." :)

FWIW I suspect loosening the turret by mistake is a very common thing. I am very mechanical and detail-oriented and still managed to do it. Hopefully someone else will see this post in the future.

How does a swivel turret separate from the body when unscrewing an LP hose?

The turret bolt is also the 5th port. If the turret bolt is not torqued to the proper spec and/or the hose is torqued too tight or seized in some way, removal of the hose can loosen the turret bolt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom