Non-ocean recommendations for good viz diving in US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're willing to venture just a bit outside the U.S., the cenotes in Mexico are as clear as it gets. And a trip there is not any more expensive than most domestic dive trips that involve air travel.

Shark Reef

Homestead Crater | Homestead Resort - not sure of the visibility.

Lake Powell - maybe. Although the one dive operator on the AZ side seems to regularly go out of business. I snorkeled there once and would estimate the viz at 40-50'. But it's Colorado River fed so that may've been a good day.

anywhere in the US have a pool like that?
Google seems to think not.

Last edited:
Epcot:

Georgia Aquarium...

National Aquarium - Baltimore...

Florida Aquarium...

And others in Colorado, Minnesota, New Jersey, Las Vegas...

Wisenheimer..........

Epcot:

Georgia Aquarium...

National Aquarium - Baltimore...

Florida Aquarium...

And others in Colorado, Minnesota, New Jersey, Las Vegas...

I once did a great dive in the Coral Reef Tank in the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago - we had terrific vis!

Reactions: RJP
Beaver Lake, Arkansas I've seen it at 50 ft vis and 5 ft vis depending on the season.

If you're out for the U.S. overall, not just the southeast, and assuming we're probably not focusing on quarry diving, there's the Bon Terre mine in St. Louis, Missouri, if guided cold water diving of an old mine is your thing. Haven't done it myself, but it's a fairly well-known place.

Some people dive parts of Dale Hollow Lake, shared by Tennessee and Kentucky.

The Great Lakes are vast and they are freshwater. Some diving there falls within your viz. requirement, I believe. I've got a friend in Chicago; I've been tempted to head up there & try it, but someone deep, cold freshwater just doesn't have that strong a draw on me right now.

Richard.
From my experience swimming, not diving, L. Superior is very clear (and cold). Michigan & Huron not too bad either. Would probably avoid the other 2, but I'm no expert.

Amusing to read Florida waters described as cold. (#10)

Here in New England the clearest (fresh) water depends a lot on time of year. Just after ice-out, for instance, the lakes "turn over" and viz goes to nothing, but is briefly very clear again before the summer algae blooms.

Best viz is under the ice, of course. Clearest water I've ever dove in otherwise was a Vermont marble quarry, but technically speaking it is a cave dive.

Lake Chelan in Washington State. We trained a bunch there but it is still boring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom