Cordless light on Goodman handle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, maybe I'm clueless, but anyway:

I've gone from a pistol grip light on a lanyard, via a standard cylindrical one on a lanyard to a hand-mounted SOLA (with the cylindrical light as a backup, clipped to my harness Hog style). A can light has never been an option for me, since 1: I don't believe I need a big cannister for simple OW diving, and 2: The place the cannister usually sits is taken by my right side weight pocket.

I see a few advantages of a hard Goodman handle like they have on the can lights. Not the least that it makes it possible to switch the light from the left to the right hand effortlessly (and the disadvantage that it doesn't sit tight in place on my hand when I operate my camera rig), so I'm thinking about switching to something like that when my SOLA dies. In that case, I'll be looking into a hard handle, since the soft type that clings to your hand basically is the same solution as the SOLA uses.

My problem is how to secure it. A can light is fixed to the harness via the cannister and the cord so you don't lose it if you drop it, but a cordless light won't be. A lanyard around the wrist isn't a particularly tempting solution, I've had enough of that. So should you to secure a cordless light to the harness during use, and if so, what's the best way to do that?

Have a look at the DiveRite QRM system for their BX-1 and LX-20 lights

These lights feature the use of their QRM system which can be fitted to a hard goodman handle

good luck waiting on your sola to die btw....

I don't like hard goodmans. The UWLD is my favorite. That said, unless you need the run time of a canister, your sola should do just fine

good luck waiting on your sola to die btw....

I don't like hard goodmans. . . .

Someone just needs to invent the ergonomic Goodman. The Halcyon Focus/Flare handle is on the right track.

have you tried the UWLD goodmans? hard backing plate, padded elastic on your hand, and a bungee around your wrist to keep it from flapping around when you're on a DPV.

and if so, what's the best way to do that?
Cetacea sells a couple of coiled tethers that could work.

Capture.JPG

More here: Coil Lanyards

I never had the traditional Goodman handle since my first canister is the Halcyon Focus. I tried gripping both the handle of my camera tray in the same hand with the handle of my Halcyon Focus and it wasn't exactly very comfortable, just FYI.

As for your question, if you have a bolt snap on the end of your light maybe you can clip it off to a bungeed dive computer/compass? This is the best idea I came up with but then I got a Halcyon Focus soon after so never really put this solution to the test. I will be interested to see if you find a better solution.

WP_20150911_001.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom