Christo Lube Alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vance,

As I understand it, the lubes I mentioned earlier re mil spec are all safe for O2 service, but some of the other properties make it more suitable for a cold or hot environment. Cold or hot not the way we experience it, but cold i.e. Liquid Oxygen cold (hence the name Krytox) -370 deg F

Christo-lube 111 for instance has an operating temperature of -100 to +450 deg F compared to Christo-lube 116's range of -30 to 450 deg F

But, now that we have David here perhaps he can elucidate the finer points.

couv

Re using silicone for <40%, it is also worth noting that most of the reg manufacturers that recommend using O2-compatible lubes recommend it not just for regs that will see high-FO2s, but across the board, on the grounds that it is simply a better all-around lube than the old silicone lubes. Scubapro, for example, says that regs serviced with it show more consistent I.P.s.

How exactly would the lubricant result in more consistent IP? My only guess is that it would decrease friction, and possibly some extrusion. in the HP piston o-ring. This could, I suppose, result in less IP drift at high tanks pressures and less IP drop over the supply range. Is this what they are saying?

Do you think that using polyurethene for the HP o-ring could also have a noticeable affect on IP drift and drop over the supply pressure range? The newer SP kits don't have the amber o-rings and I assume that they are not polyurethene, and I'm thinking about buying a stash of 90-duro polyurethene 010 o-rings.

One last question (when you write a great book, you have to expect a few unsolicited questions!) Can you explain why my MK10s would have a greater IP drop than my MK5s, using the same 2nd stage to cycle the regs? I'm hung up on the idea that greater IP drop must mean less flow, and I've always been under the assumption that MK10s have increased flow rates over MK5s.

Thanks Vance, and sorry for the hi-jack.

Exactly. Most SP regulators are piston regs, with a piston moving up and down rather than a diaphragm flexing. So stiction become an important factor in how quickly the piston responds to pressure changes, and the stiction is heavily dependant on the forumulation of the O-ring used, and the lube. That's why just cleaning and relubing a reg without replacing any parts will usually result in a noticable improvement in breathing ease.

Second guessing the reg manufacturer on O-ring specs is always dangerous, and anyhow O-rings have a limited shelf life, so not sure if I'd bother to stock up, on generics especially.

Re IP drop, I am on my way out the door, and that will have to wait since I can't remember any of the numbers off the top of my head.

QUOTE=mattboy;3601396]How exactly would the lubricant result in more consistent IP? My only guess is that it would decrease friction, and possibly some extrusion. in the HP piston o-ring. This could, I suppose, result in less IP drift at high tanks pressures and less IP drop over the supply range. Is this what they are saying?

Do you think that using polyurethene for the HP o-ring could also have a noticeable affect on IP drift and drop over the supply pressure range? The newer SP kits don't have the amber o-rings and I assume that they are not polyurethene, and I'm thinking about buying a stash of 90-duro polyurethene 010 o-rings.

One last question (when you write a great book, you have to expect a few unsolicited questions!) Can you explain why my MK10s would have a greater IP drop than my MK5s, using the same 2nd stage to cycle the regs? I'm hung up on the idea that greater IP drop must mean less flow, and I've always been under the assumption that MK10s have increased flow rates over MK5s.

Thanks Vance, and sorry for the hi-jack.[/QUOTE]

Hey guys, thanks for your comments and insight.

I came in to the Krytox group a few months ago from our sister Teflon business. A week ago a colleague mentioned the diving market and ChristoLube and their dominance here. It would appear they have just concentrated more in this area than has DuPont in the last several years. The mill specs are on our "a"ero ("A" C, or D) grades with aero being the thrust of our government work (I think). However, many in the O2/reactive gas world are satisified with the GPL (gereral purpose lube) line. It all the same chemistry in that the oil is PFPE (inert and oxygen safe) while the thichener may vary (ours is Teflon PTFE micropowder). We just recently anounced our NRT (pronounce inert) line because we do have so many grades after all the years and it is confusing. So, we whittled it down to 9 grades under NRT, the most basic is 8900. Honestly, I was just hopng a few people might go get a tube of Krytonx NRT8900 from a distributor; nothing more.

Thanks for your time; happy diving. I've never been but my wife and I love to snorkle whenever we are in the Carribean.

Dave

Hello again David,

It would be great to have a bit more information on NRT8900 if that is your recommendation for SCUBA regulators. I went to the DuPont site via your link, then typed in NRT8900 in the "search" dialog box and came up empty. As Vance mentioned in an earlier post, most of us use Christo-lube because it is recommended by the regulator manufactures and have yet to see the competition make a statement such as "meets or exceeds manufactures requirements" or "better than Christo-lube because&#8230;" or is less expensive. I would love to see an alternative to Christo-lube (I know there are alternatives) at a cheaper price or even the same price with a reason to switch.

Might I suggest you advertise your product here and at other Scuba forums and provide a link to the product information and vendors.

Thank you,

couv

If you want to send me a sample, I'd be happy to pack my MK5 with it. :D

Oxygen-safe lube only goes a long way if you use it for o-ring lubrication. Once you start packing an ambient chamber for environmental sealing, it goes fast!

Oxygen-safe lube only goes a long way if you use it for o-ring lubrication. Once you start packing an ambient chamber for environmental sealing, it goes fast!

Well that's what you get for using them there silly piston regs, when you could use a perfectly good sealed diaphragm :D

Reactions: Jax
I asked this question on here about 3 years ago and the only answer was Christo-lube. I forgot about Krytox. Another thread about tank vales recently pointed me in the direction of the Dow-corning 111. I purchased a tube of it from a local industrial supply house for about $25 for a 5.3oz tube.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'd be extremely careful with NRT 8900, as it appears to be rated only to 70 Bar (just over 1000 PSI).

Hey guys, thanks for your comments and insight.

I came in to the Krytox group a few months ago from our sister Teflon business. A week ago a colleague mentioned the diving market and ChristoLube and their dominance here. It would appear they have just concentrated more in this area than has DuPont in the last several years. The mill specs are on our "a"ero ("A" C, or D) grades with aero being the thrust of our government work (I think). However, many in the O2/reactive gas world are satisified with the GPL (gereral purpose lube) line. It all the same chemistry in that the oil is PFPE (inert and oxygen safe) while the thichener may vary (ours is Teflon PTFE micropowder). We just recently anounced our NRT (pronounce inert) line because we do have so many grades after all the years and it is confusing. So, we whittled it down to 9 grades under NRT, the most basic is 8900. Honestly, I was just hopng a few people might go get a tube of Krytonx NRT8900 from a distributor; nothing more.

Thanks for your time; happy diving. I've never been but my wife and I love to snorkle whenever we are in the Carribean.

Dave

---------- Post added September 12th, 2015 at 03:48 PM ----------

http://www.yairerez.co.il/pic/2384a6ed_59ce_4b94_a085_27b8a720a808.pdf lists many of the NRT lubricants and their pressure ceilings. DuPont also appears to list specified lubricants for high pressure applications:

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/e...481-Oxygen-Chemical-Applicaton-Sell-Sheet.pdf

---------- Post added September 12th, 2015 at 04:14 PM ----------

http://www.miller-stephenson.com/products/detail.aspx?ItemId=121

This one lists the service pressures of several of the DuPont lubricants.

Back
Top Bottom